Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '06 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '06 XLT

Backstory
So I bought an '06 XLT back in May as my first truck with just shy of 150k miles. I had big plans when I bought it but figured I should start paying it down before jacking it up (almost a pun, I guess?). I was sandwiched pretty good last week and figured I might as well use some of the insurance payout to start my build. Wanted to start a thread here to document my progress as well as possibly get some input from y'all on parts and ideas.

So far the only changes I've made were tires (she came on big ol' 286/65 BFG T/A KOs, but they were worn to threads) and a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS touchscreen head unit.

Phase 1
I'm calling my insurance upgrades Phase 1: Insurance should be covering a new tow package, trans cooler and radiator cover (all bent up in the accident), front valance, re-formed front/rear panels and tailgate, and bedside caps since they break when you take them off. Instead of stock bumpers, I'm going to be putting on a Ranch Hand Summit Bullnose in the front and the matching Summit in the rear. Depending on if I have any money left over I might look at adding some fender flares as well.

Future
As for future plans (suggestions welcome for any of these!):

I'm trying to do away with all the chrome. I'll probably plastidip the wheels and grille matte black for a short term fix.

Side steps: I'd like something in a low profile, matte black hoop step style, maybe something like this: http://www.gorhino.com/cache/q100_w5...nal_D3-1v3.png

Lift: 3-4". Anything more than that looks a bit gaudy in my opinion, and the price really starts to shoot up. I'm doing all this on a bit of a budget. I mainly just want something big enough to stand out.

Wheels: This is probably going to have to be sooner, rather than later, as my wheels are corroded and leak every once in a while. These will be coming from Discount Tire but I haven't decided on a style yet. I'm also torn between sticking with 18s (then I could keep my tires) or going up to 20s. I'll probably shoot for approx 33" tires. Opinions welcome: with a 3" lift, would 33r18 or 33r20 look better?

Lights: Roof mounted LED bar, KC styles mounted in the push bar on the bumper. Eventually headlights and taillights. Probably cages on the tails. Suggestions welcome!

That's all I can think of for now. I'll get some pictures up when I have the chance. Let me know your thoughts, I'm looking forward to hearing y'alls input!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Edit: got some new pictures this morning!

Only pictures I could find off hand were the ones from my wreck, but they'll give a nice idea of what I'm working with:

Here's the car that hit me. Didn't do much driving away.

Last edited by Jacob Woolf; 01-26-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Got some new pictures this morning :)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM
What base model?

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice truck. Here's mine on a 2.5" level and 33r20s. I think 20s would look better on a 3" lift to fill up the wheels wells.
The following users liked this post:
Jacob Woolf (01-25-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyMobile
Nice truck. Here's mine on a 2.5" level and 33r20s. I think 20s would look better on a 3" lift to fill up the wheels wells.
What's your total height ground to roof? Clear most parking garages okay?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:36 AM
What base model?

Originally Posted by Jacob Woolf
What's your total height ground to roof? Clear most parking garages okay?
I'll measure it for you when I get home this evening. I've only been in one parking garage since I added the level and wheels and it fits fine. It'll be a different story after I lift it though lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM

I'll measure it for you when I get home this evening. I've only been in one parking garage since I added the level and wheels and it fits fine. It'll be a different story after I lift it though lol.
What lift are you planning on? I really like your stance width wise, so I'd love to see what it looks like!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 AM
What base model?

What lift are you planning on? I really like your stance width wise, so I'd love to see what it looks like!
Thanks! It's a little difficult finding a lift for a 2wd but Skyjacker makes a 3" suspension and a 6" suspension. I might just do a 3" body for now since I don't do any offroading and then throw a 3" or 6" suspension on top of that. Or I will do the 3" suspension until I have enough for the 6".
Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Called Ranch Hand earlier, sounds like I'll be able to throw the Summit Bullnose on the front end and Sport Series on the rear!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
What base model?

Called Ranch Hand earlier, sounds like I'll be able to throw the Summit Bullnose on the front end and Sport Series on the rear!

Sweet! I got rear ended as well but Ranch Hand said that they don't make the rear bumper for our generation anymore, congrats on finding one! I had to go with the Frontier bumper which is pretty close to the Ranch Hand and that should be here this week.

I eventually want to get this N-Fab bumper for the front
Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM

I eventually want to get this N-Fab bumper for the front
I really like that nfab but it was so much more expensive. I was hesitant on the rear ranch hand (as opposed to stock) but figured it'd look so much better if it matched. Plus, I'll never have to replace it again, because if a Ranch Hand gets broken, I'm gonna be needing a lot more than a bumper

Quick Reply: My '06 XLT