Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N CAI Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N CAI Sound?

I just installed a new K&N intake on my 2012 Ecoboost and so far it is working out nice. However, my question is, when I hit the gas you can hear the air intake very loudly (not the issue) but when you let off the gas you here a slight thump and pressure let off sound? Is this normal?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Is K&N still a good intake as there are many others out there on the market?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDad379
I just installed a new K&N intake on my 2012 Ecoboost and so far it is working out nice. However, my question is, when I hit the gas you can hear the air intake very loudly (not the issue) but when you let off the gas you here a slight thump and pressure let off sound? Is this normal?
Like popping noises? i forget what the deal was with that but if you have the latest ford ECU programing on the truck i believe that doesnt happen anymore. And i know for sure if you get an aftermarket tune like livernoise they fix that. As for K&N being good yes there a quality product. None of the intakes on the market for the ecoboost will make any more power than each other, especially on a stock tune
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM

I think I'm going to just return it and buy a SCT programmer to up the performance!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U might need a waste gate those eco boosts have turbos. The sounds your hearing is the air pressure built up and cut off with no where to go but back through the turbo and filter. Waste gates more commonly known as blow off valve. Adding a cai without modifying the exhaust and your only winning galf the battle of getting an engine to breath propperly. Try inhailing and then exhailing through a straw. This is what your engine is like. Doing Exhaust without cai or "stock air box eliminations" Is like inhailing through a straw and exhailing without straw get it?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Sorry blow off valves open when u back off the throttle and allow the air to escape... which reduces turbo lag mainly. Watch some videos on turbos and blow off vlvs!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Thanks for explaining but I'm going to stick with the stock air box for now. I'm adding a custom time shortly then saving for a new exhaust.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM

You can save hundress and build your own cai. I made mine for 60$. 35$ for the filter and 22$ for parts using pvc tubing. I have no lag in acceleration which the box causes and I can actually feel the hp gain at around 1850 rpms.... my wife also felt it and that's without gunning it! Took me about two hours including clean up. I also have cat back exhaust without muffler and eliminated rear cats. I can take pics of my cai if you request very easy to do!!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Yeah that would be great I am always interested in seeing custom work.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDad379
Yeah that would be great I am always interested in seeing custom work.
^^ Thats a horrible idea since you dont know what cfms the sensors are reading with the design. Buy from a reputable company or leave stock . A tuner will be night and day difference on the truck . Stick with livernois or sct. And about the other comment above the ecoboost already has wastgates and recirc valves(basically factory blow off valve but recirculates not to atmosphere)

Quick Reply: K&N CAI Sound?