Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GiantDavid's Itty Bitty F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GiantDavid's Itty Bitty F150

Ok, So I have a Confession. I have been a bit of a lurker. I have been reading these forums for some time now. (Keeps me somewhat sane at work). I own an 04 5.4L screw with a color matched Leer Canopy. My truck is used often as I work in the oil fields in ND. Also during the fall and winter I occasionally take clients who pay to hunt over my lab during bird season. (They know his name and not mine, He is famous and I am just the owner, LOL!)
So my Goals with this ongoing project are as follows:
1. Off-road capability. ( I don't like being stuck, and it would be embarrassing to get stuck while taking clients out hunting.)
2. Professional appearance and class. (Plenty of lifted 150's out here, and some are just unfortunate...who lifts a 2wd?????)
3. Power. (I may be restrained, but still a dude. POWER POWER POWER)
4. Try to save some MPG's (I do have to pay to drive it after all)
5. Towing. (I own a 28' travel trailer and a boat.)
6. Style. (I have my ideas and change them regularly on this one)
7. Comfort. (Yeah, I may be a outdoors oriented man, but heated seats kick ***)

So I have split my development plan into stages.
1. Stock
2. Current
3. Massive Make over.
4. Refinement.
I will just touch on the first two for a moment because they are pretty self explanatory and the third might be what everyone gets interested in anyway.

Stock is not necessarily stock, but rather as I acquired it.
Came with:
Rhino Lined Bed (I have the 5'6 Bed)
Remote start, that uses Factory Key Fob. (very convenient to replace and inexpensive. System just works any time you lock it twice in a row in short succession)
Leer Canopy and roof rack mounts. (previous owner was supposed to bring the bars at a later date.... Never happened...)
Custom Floor mats and Cheap rear seat cover.

As it sits in the custom phase;
18 inch blacked out rims. (can't remember the brand off the top of my head, think its american racing. will edit later)
33 in Toyo open country M/T's (I LOVE these tires)
Front leveling spacer (I know, I am every single other F-150 ever)
Flowmaster Force II 1 in 2 out. cat back system (sounds great)

And now the FUN!
Stage 3
Massive Make-over!
I almost called this "Never the Same" but thatIRISHtruck said something like that in his build thread.
Also quick side note, I read and stole many things from irish and HK2011. Even tuna slayer had some really cool ideas.
Just to pique the interest too, Stage 3 has in installation date scheduled for august. (I go home to Washington where I am from periodically and I have mechanic buddies helping me to reduce costs.)
So lets start off with the bigger item's
Iron Bull Defender 8 series front replacement bumper and guard.
There is a company called TDK (throttle down kustomz or something like that)
that is out in Montana and not far from here. They have some pretty decent looking bumpers and are fairly cheap. I sat on this decision for quite a while because I really hate* the look of all the road armor and iron bull and tdk and all the 15 other steel bumpers.
*Here is what the asterisk is for, I hate the gap toothed chinless grin line it creates on a lifted F-150. The line is broken by that shelf the IFS creates with the extruded control arms. I understand I am fairly unique in this opinion and I am OK with that. It's my truck, It has to make me get the proverbial stiffy first. Then it can impress everyone else. So I had made some calls about fabrication, I had even drawn up some sketches. Because I am a naive amateur and never thought to Google what I was looking for. So when shops told me it would be a custom piece, I just went out and believed them. The piece I am alluding to and about to name is a pro-comp skid plate (displayed by Mr. Irish himself).
I actually found this forum because Irish's truck come up when you ply the Internet for skid plates on an iron-bull bumper, Fancy that. So my decision was eventually solidified mostly by the clean line and well put together look of Irish's truck's chin. (or nose, whatever you want to call it)
I also noticed a lot of the TDK bumpers, which are as common as corollas out here (oilfield n all) seem to not be able to resist the corrosion through winter. Rust spots and flaking are very prevalent and if I am going to drop Bigtime $$ getting the look and protection I want, I do not want to redo it every time the weather changes...
So I already mentioned the Ironbull defender 8 (its a good looking set up)
and the Pro comp plate, and you may be saying in your head, "but he said that the plate completed the look of a LIFTED truck...." and you would be right. I did in fact hint at the next few lift items.
RCD/FabTech/Procomp 6" lift
This is actually the last part I need to purchase. (Have already talked to Cameron @ Iron-bull and shipping is arranged)
Here is my delay inspiring debacle on the choice of lift.
RCD is by all accounts the best lift. Best ride, comes with front traction bars, clean, rugged, efficient.
It is also the most expensive.
FabTech and Procomp are my two alternates. Fabtech is new to my knowledge base, but my dad has a procomp on his 01 250 with the 7.3L PS. We have beat that thing up and down hunting pheasant, elk, deer, turkey and general off-roading. As most truck owners side subconsciously with something family has had on a similar truck and no problems, must be bulletproof! So that’s why it’s on the list.
The lift can’t be on 33’s… that would be silly. If we are going to make it bigger than the obvious mate is Toyo 35x12.50 Open country M/T’s. I know you are all fans of Nitto… But UGH. Personal opinion only… don’t like them as much as my Toyo’s. I even looked at some super swampers and Mickey t’s. But alas I think the Toyo boys have made me a lifelong customer.
Tires we can debate all day my Nitto loving friends, I have been in the deep winter snows in Alberta, BC, Montana, Northern ID and Eastern WA. I have been in the farm mud filth of the Palouse in WA. I have been in the Rockies on dirt and rock and trail a narrow. I have recently learned that the mud in ND and Saskatchewan is absolutely nasty and will stick anyone. Except my Toyos! They are quiet, and I have just over 10,000 miles on them and they look great and are barely worn. They are expensive, but they earned it in my experience.
Ok so enough about just the rubber, as I said before I can’t even remember the name of my brand of rims. Its because they suck. So they are getting replaced too. ( I will amend that, the front passenger tire and rim took a collision from a drunk falling asleep, running a stop sign and hitting them directly at 45 mph with just a minor scratch on the black surface of the rim)
I digress, rims are gone. So I am grabbing some 18x9 Fuel Boosts. I can’t count how many fuel Hostage’s or XD blacked out rockstars I have seen. I just can’t do em.
So that’s the lift, Front end and tires/wheels. Didn’t I say something about fuel and power earlier??
Edge Evolution Program module. This I will actually be ordering and installing sometime in the next week (Approx. Based on work and life)
Obvious why I would get that, tire size, lift, fuel and power.
Air Raid synthamax CAI. Power, Fuel, Sound.
I think I can install this myself as well. Probably pick it up in july. I want the engine to be ready for the big tires when I throw em on.
A few details I forgot along the way.
I am leaning towards 2 fog pattern piaa 520’s and 2 spot pattern 520’s for the bumper lights.
Anyone have any knowledge or suggestions on the lights?
Or the lifts?
Want to argue about tires and rims?
What about “Refinement”?
Want to hear about the things I will be needing a new serpentine belt for?
Well then tell me!

Thanks for reading so far.
Pictures of stock, current and parts on order are incoming. Internet is loading slow…..

Last edited by GiantDavid; 06-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Stock-ish
Top ON, first day I got it. (crap photos I know... only recently thought to take pics.)

Top OFF

Tires and spacer and clean!

Before exhaust and next to the other thing I drive out in the mud.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Also, there also are some side stories about this trucks rough life. It has been in a hit and run and a violent shooting. I have pictures and police reports for it all! I don't live in a bad neighborhood or have a crazy criminal life. Just your average middle class guy. But have been in some random situations. So those are also kind of still on the build list. Misc fixes and repairs.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 PM

The Camper

The Dog and his birds. (Yes hens were legal that day. We were on a game farm for clients)

The bullet holes

The Exhaust
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 PM

100 views nearly and NO comments????
Come on guys, I am bored as crap.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 262 Likes on 126 Posts

Can't wait to see progress! :P
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I chuckled a little when you started talking about more power..and then decent fuel mileage, and proceeded to talk about heavy armor front bumpers, lift and 35" mud terrains all in the same post

Its kinda like that old saying goes "fast, cheap, and reliable.......you can't have all three!"
...........Pick your two because you can't have all three.

I share your sentiment about the Toyo MTs. Not a tire on the market that is an all around performer like it IMO.

Can't wait to see how it turns out
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM

Well my rough idea of the situation is, power to move the heavy things I am putting on it, and later in the refinement section I will be throwing some motive 4.56's in and a Detroit for the rear end. Along with some dual 16 in E-fans and maybe (maybe maybe maybe) and under drive pulley set. The fuel mileage I know is going to be abysmal, but with the tuner and CAI and a cleaning of the MAF... I can keep it equivalent to the current numbers. I don't want to lose any more, so any real gains are more like nullifications.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantDavid
Well my rough idea of the situation is, power to move the heavy things I am putting on it, and later in the refinement section I will be throwing some motive 4.56's in and a Detroit for the rear end. Along with some dual 16 in E-fans and maybe (maybe maybe maybe) and under drive pulley set. The fuel mileage I know is going to be abysmal, but with the tuner and CAI and a cleaning of the MAF... I can keep it equivalent to the current numbers. I don't want to lose any more, so any real gains are more like nullifications.
eh...I dont want to be a negative nancy but i think you are going to be hard pressed to even come out even mileage wise with those mods. But here's to hopin'

I simply have a level, 33" Toyo MTs, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back, and Custom tuned SCT programmer. Went from 17-18 mpg highway when it was stock (street tires and only the level kit) to currently calculating 14 mpg consistently. And I do a lot of highway driving.
I think a tune can help on an otherwise stock truck...but once you start lifting and adding more rolling resistance and unsprung weight I don't think it helps aside from adding power.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 AM

You are probably 100% correct. I sit at about 14.5-15 highway as it is now. (speed dependant)
I meant to say "I HOPE" not "I Can". As it is in the background on one of the pics, you can see one of my main jobs is fuel management. So I am aware of the tortuous things I will be doing to my wallet at the pump. I am hoping that between the increased flow with the CAI and exhaust, the tire size and gear being actually programed in correctly, and the bulky factory fan and shroud being eliminated, that I will be able to still see above 10 mpg with the 6" and 35"s

Quick Reply: GiantDavid's Itty Bitty F150