Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX4sRgreat Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FX4sRgreat Build

After following the forum for a month I wanted to thank the members for several ideas and show what I've done so far to my new 2013 FX4. Back with Ford after a 26 year detour with Chevys. First got a bedliner and Leer cover. Then CB radio installed, tapped power behind dash 12V accessory plug. Then added console vault, bug deflector, and intercooler guard. And of course the rear window Harley sticker (Of course it came in the mail the day AFTER the dealer installed the Leer bed cover - PITA to put on).
Attached Images       
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 AM

Next I had a little project for the useless dash cubby. Phone didn't fit. So pulled out the rubber mat and used it as a template to build a platform out of plywood and plexiglass. Covered with plastidip, and flashing LED and warning sticker placed. Unit slides in and out easily. GPS locator on order and have a few ideas on where to hide it. Next to add are the bed LED lights. Already have the 5050 strips and confirmed the grey/purple wire on passenger side. Just need to find a better way to mount strips as I wasn't happy with the 3M tape and the initial epoxy didnt stick to the silicone waterproof liner ...
Attached Images     
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Looking good.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

nice. looking good.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 PM

OK, next project done (thanks to prior Forum DIY posts). LED lighting in the beds. I ordered the waterproof 5050 LED lights off the internet. The bed had already been sprayed with a bed liner, so the 3M tape didn't really hold well. So I fabricated some aluminum bars, painted them black and tested different glues: superglue, epoxy glue, liquid nails, and hot glue. I wasn't very happy with any of them as the waterproof silicone housing easily peeled away from the glue. (Not sure if the glues hold better on the non-waterproof LED strips.) So I reverted back to the 3M tape (sticks much better on the smooth aluminum bars then the rough bed liner). Also secured with very thin Spider Wire. Then mounted in the truck. PS - soldering really sucks.
Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Pic at night!
Attached Thumbnails FX4sRgreat Build-f150-led-4.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Default DVD install Headrest

So after researching factory DVD headrests at $2000, others at $1000, I decided to do the Wally World Philips regular DVD attached to stock headrests (so I can order the embroidery to the headrests later). The main issue is I hated the exposed wiring. I first planned to drill holes in the headrest posts and thread the power supply and AV wire to second unit through them. After learning how to partially take off the leather seat cover I just passed the wires around the posts and they hid well under the cover zip tied. Lessons for install -

1) Need at least a 10 foot TRRS 3.5 mm AV cable since the stock cable was too short. Ordered through ebay. I should have ordered the 90 degree ends as they would have been more flush (I ordered the straight ends thinking I would be putting them through the posts - but found an easier way).

2) There is a metal ring holding the front seat cover that I undid to get access. I found that with extra "brutane" it was unnecessary to undo this when I did the passenger seat. You only have to remove part of the upper seat cover to be able to thread the wires underneath for a clean install.

3) Kids will be very happy and can no longer accidently unplug the units on long trips. Power is still via the accessory plug into the back of the console.
Attached Thumbnails FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd5.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd1.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd2.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd3.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd4.jpg  

FX4sRgreat Build-f150-dvd6.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Did this last weekend ...
Attached Thumbnails FX4sRgreat Build-f150-front-emblem.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM

My Custom Truck Solutions emblems came in and I got them mounted and they look great. Also took off the ecoboost badges to clean up the truck.
Attached Thumbnails FX4sRgreat Build-f150-cts-1.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-emblem-front-after.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-emblem-side-after.jpg   FX4sRgreat Build-f150-emblem-back-after.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Raptor Minion

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

That is one very nice looking truck. Great job! Subscribed.

Quick Reply: FX4sRgreat Build