Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiveL's (mild) 2012 FX2 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FiveL's (mild) 2012 FX2 build

A little background... Initially I had a loaded 2003 Sport Trac XLT Premium 4x4 and was holding out for a 2011 F-150, but was offered a great deal on a 2010 Lariat Crew 4x2 that I found hard to pass up. 20 months & 26k miles later, I got the truck I truly wanted: My 2012 FX2.

Factory Options:
- FX Luxury Package
- 3.55 Electonic Locking Axle
- Sony Navigation
- Power Sunroof

The dealer let me have both trucks for a couple days so I could transfer accessories (Ford SportLiner, tonneau cover, 04-08 bed extender) so I was able to take some side-by-side pics.

My old Lariat & current FX2

My goal is for more subltle/unseen mods, improving ride while lowering tailgate load height, mild appearance changes, making the truck more suitable for my furniture repair business. Oxford white works for me, keeping it in line with more commercial vehicles but maintaining a semi-stylish personal vehicle appearance.

The Ford SportLiner was purchased for my Lariat and transferred to my FX2. I re-used about half of the velcro, keeping all of the front, tailgate & floor pieces but maybe a quarter of the original side ones. It still stays firmly in place. This is probably the money best spent on an accessory as it's super-light and very durable. I'd guess it's less than 10 pounds. It's great for me as it doesn't damage furniture being slid in & out like a spray-on liner would, yet things stay firmly in place unline a plastic drop-in type. It's already withstood almost 2 years of abuse, anything from furniture & building materials, to 2 yards per load of compost and crushed shell. Clean-up is rather easy with a broom, shop vac or garden hose.
SportLiner (BedRug)

This pic is from my Lariat, but swapped the 2004-2008 style metal bed extender over to the FX2. Less flimsy than the newer plastic one, feels more secure. If you find one (got mine on craigslist) be sure to get the two torx bolts that screw in to the box by the tailgate.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

Initially painted the fender and tailgate badges with white PlastiDip.

And the outer chrome ring on both oval emblems.

Later brushing red and black PlastiDip on the lettering.

Will likely peel it off, re-paint with Duplicolor and add vinyl lettering, but happy with how it looks for now.

Did the subwoofer-polyfill mod.

Replaced the factory Sony door speakers with Infinity Reference 6822cf speakers.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

Ordered 2-3" lowering shackles from eBay and the Roadmaster Active Suspension. I wanted to increase load capacity but did not want to raise the tailgate load height as it's already higher than I'd like.

Turns out the shackles are 2½-3½" and while holding in place to check fit, it looked like they would contact the underside of the box flange. I cut them off, ground them for a rounded shape and installed in the 2½" holes at the same time as installing the RAS. Also installed the Ford wheelhouse liners.

As for the RAS, the ride is greatly improved, no more axle wrap, the triple+ bouncing over speed bumps or gutters is gone, cornering is much flatter.

Set to 1mm with the 2½" shackles netted me a ¾" drop overall. I was hoping for 1½", but at least I'm still lower than stock... that's appreciated when you're grunting to get a heavy MDF dresser up that extra little bit. It doesn't sag as much under load either.

Stock tailgate height = 33"
With shackles & RAS at 2.0mm = 33.75"
With shackles & RAS at 1.5mm = 33"
With shackles & RAS at 1.0mm = 32.25"

The liners clean up the appearance from the side and protect from gravel or anything else that gets tossed up by the tires... will clean up easier too.

2½" lowering shackles & RAS set to 1mm.

Having put 26k on my Lariat, the tires were pretty much worn out. They were awful in rain and offered dismal handling. When I bought the FX2, I negotiated a trade offer with the dealer parts department to try something different. Replaced the stock Michelins on the FX2 with Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus tires. They're rated for 70k miles and raved about on Tire Rack, so I thought I'd give them a shot since I haven't read much on here about anyone using them.

My first impression is that they ride slightly firmer than the Michelins, but in a good way. There's less reverberating rebound. The Michelins have more of a ballooned/rounded tread surface, where as the Contis are flatter. I'm guessing the Michies rebounded from the roundedness as well as the sidewall, where as the Contis are absorbing impacts by the sidewall only. Anyway, there's less multiple bounces over bumps. The Continenals stick to the road a lot better, both wet & dry, and with the recent Trop Storm Debby & ponding water on the streets here, I experienced no hydroplaning at all. They might be a bit quieter than stock too. Anyway, I like 'em... big improvement!

Last edited by FiveL; 07-03-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: FiveL's (mild) 2012 FX2 build