Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGFord Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BGFord Build, 2012 Blue Flame F-150

This is my first post on here, I have been lurking for a long time and you all have helped me decide on exactly how I want my truck to look so thank you for posting your ideas, photos, etc...
I bought my F-150 pretty much bare, as I knew I would be adding a lot to it, I didn't want to pay for extra's like Chrome running boards or wheels that I would just remove later. Here she is, the first time I saw her.

The first thing I did was apply a spray on bedliner to protect the bed since I do use it for hauling stuff.

Next came something for my wife, she is only 5'2" so she needed a little help getting into the truck, even at stock height. That help came in the form of AMP Research power folding running boards. I was able to install them myself in only about a hour, so if you can follow directions, then you can do it yourself too.

At this point a friend of mine really hooked me up. I wanted to change out the OEM grille, but didn't like most of the options available. I was able to get in on the ground floor of a company who decided to get into the aftermarket grille market. They partnered with Rigid Industries to build this grille, which was a prototype that I was able to get for helping them out by loaning them my truck for a few days. They decided to make some changes to the design afterwards, and so I know have a completely custom grille that no one else will ever have. The lights are made by Rigid Industries, and are bright as hell as you can see from the photo. Rigid now offers their grille on their website, it has 3 light bars instead of 1 bar and 4 square lights.

After the grille came a very easy upgrade that I learned from these forums, I painted the F-150 Emblems to match my truck.

I'll post some more pictures in another post.
Attached Thumbnails BGFord Build-truck6.jpg   BGFord Build-truck12.jpg   BGFord Build-running-boards.jpg   BGFord Build-truck11.jpg   BGFord Build-truck10.jpg  

BGFord Build-truck5.jpg  

Last edited by BGFord; 04-12-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 543 Likes on 451 Posts

emblems came out awesome.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM

After doing the emblems, it came time for the wheels and tires. I first installed a Revtek 2" leveling system so I could fit some slightly larger tires under the wheel wells. For wheels I went with Moto Metal 961's, in black. My main reason for this choice was the paintable inserts, I really feel they bring the truck together. For tires I choose BFG A/T's because I have used them many times before, they look great, last a long time, and ride awsome.

At this point she is almost finished, I have a couple of extras I still need to install. I have wheel flares sitting at my shop, they should be painted next week and installed. I also have get leather installed and the front two windows tinted still, just dragging my feet there. Painted bumpers instead of chrome are next on the list as well as a bit of custom painting on the tailgate and hood.
So let me know if you have any suggestions, I would love to know what you all think.
Attached Thumbnails BGFord Build-truck3.jpg   BGFord Build-truck1.jpg   BGFord Build-truck2.jpg   BGFord Build-truck.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ODawg (07-22-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Iowa Farm Boy

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I would paint your grille surround (Chrome piece around your grille) either black or blue to match your truck. Other than that I think it looks great. Nice job.

Last edited by B4manek; 04-12-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM

I think that is a great idea B4manek. I was just looking at another thread and discovered a product called plasti dip. I loved the way it made the Ford Oval look, and thought about doing that on my tailgate oval and maybe the chrome surround on the grille. I am not a big fan of chrome, so I would love to remove all of it from the truck eventually.

My thought was to either paint, or use the plasti dip on the middle of the hood in a look kinda like the decal on a Raptor looks. So if I did that black, then the grille surround black, it would go together pretty well.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Iowa Farm Boy

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BGFord
I think that is a great idea B4manek. I was just looking at another thread and discovered a product called plasti dip. I loved the way it made the Ford Oval look, and thought about doing that on my tailgate oval and maybe the chrome surround on the grille. I am not a big fan of chrome, so I would love to remove all of it from the truck eventually.

My thought was to either paint, or use the plasti dip on the middle of the hood in a look kinda like the decal on a Raptor looks. So if I did that black, then the grille surround black, it would go together pretty well.
I would do the bumpers too, they look a little out of place with everything else black and blue. That's the great thing about Plastidip, you can remove it if you don't like it.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

That's a great looking truck. Lets see some more pictures of that grill.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM

I was thinking of painting the lower bumpers to match, (blue). If I did the bumpers black, I would have to do the fender flares black and then it gets into being two toned, which I don't really care for. So I am going to go with painted bumpers to match with just some black accents around the truck. I really like was mikegmang did with this tailgate, I think I am going to steal that idea and use it on my truck as well. It will really make the blue in the F-150 Emblem pop out!
The following users liked this post:
ODawg (07-22-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

That will look nice. Also painting the tops of the mirrors blue would look good.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM

That is an idea. I did smoke out the amber light on the mirrors, not sure if you can tell in the photos I posted.

Quick Reply: BGFord Build