Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 STX 2wd w/ elec. locker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 2012 STX 2wd w/ elec. locker

Green truck is gone, here is it's replacement:

Name:  6430f1b87d1520e2d046310eda5f64c8.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  621.7 KB

So far, just little things. Got a Delta low-profile crossover box for $100, and added some "tactical seat covers" (the name amuses me, I just got them for all the pockets).

All was not well upon puchase, however. Apparently, the (Ford) Dealer's detail guy powerwashed the inside of the truck before I got it. Radio is having some very annoying issues. Dealer had the truck 3 times, new radio, still not right. In that time period (about a month all together), the cam phasers and the pinion seal had to be replaced. Its a "Ford Certified Pre-Owned" so all repairs are not on my dime.

Its a repo with 60,000 miles, and the price/warranty was good. Every seat has a cig burn, but it doesn't stink like an ashtray. I was hesitant to get a 2wd, but having the e-locker makes up for that.

Plans are a clean, simple street truck that I can DD/work out of. I am loving the power/mileage of the 5.0 vs my old 4.6. just need a little more rumble in the exhaust....
Old 02-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Bronco II Nut

Well, that didn't last long.

(Back story) The 3rd time they had the truck, the cam phasers were replaced. I was going to go get it back, but someone that works at the dealer ran into it in the parking lot. So i had to wait for it to get out of the body shop. I've had it back for 1 week, and the check engine light came on again. Cam phasers again. Radio is getting worse.

Btw, I got the truck in late november, the dealer has had it most of the time.

So now i am looking for another truck. I dont want to, I really like this truck. but if i can't even go a week without something going wrong.....

I should add, the dealer is not trying to screw me over. They have offered to take it back more than a couple times. I was just hoping if i stayed patient, i'd get a good deal on a used truck with a bunch of new parts (that i didn't have to pay for)

Here's a fun fact: Its a Ford CPO (Certified Pre Owned). irony?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that sucks! If you do keep the truck, I'd recommend the Ghost Cam Tune
Old 02-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Bronco II Nut

well, the next truck will be nearly identical, just have to wait until they find one. and I will be picky, because i got the truck i wanted, now i am (pretty much) forced to compromise by getting another truck

not sure what a "ghost cam tune" is, but I will hit up the search button later. not going to anything that will void the warranty, until the warranty runs out.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Bronco II Nut

well, here is the "new" truck
Name:  IMG_0488.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0491.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  83.5 KB

old vs. new
rubber floors/carpet
fog lights/nope
stx stickers/nope
Ford running boards/"n-fab" steps
repo/1 owner
60,000 mi/29,000 mi
bed floor beat to hell/ shiny bed floor

wheels & tires swapped (truck 1 had brand new tires)

i prefer "in-channel" ventvisors, but these are in good shape, so i will keep them. now i need to swap over my tool box, and get this truck ready for work when the weather warms up. since it doesn't have fog lights, i want to add some led lights, maybe in the bumper hole
Old 10-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Bronco II Nut

Wow, just looked at my other posts, I've had this truck about 8 months now. put almost 8,000 miles on it so far. Couple things I haven't liked:

-"return to center" turn signal switch. (don't think I'll ever get used to it)
---possible solution: fit an older style switch (ex: turn signal lever from a '94 f150 bolted on to my '84 Bronco II column)
-auto down/up windows. (i wore out the driver's switch trying to get used to the "half pull/half push" to crack the windows.)
---possible solution #1: fit a set of rear switches in the front location
---possible solution #2: swap out for momentary switches from ???

Last edited by Tony Raine; 08-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I like the new one, and good luck on the plans! I'd like to do quite a few of those as well....maybe one day, lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by BAM298
I like the new one, and good luck on the plans! I'd like to do quite a few of those as well....maybe one day, lol.

Thanks!

Yeah, "maybe one day" sums it up for me as well. I'm pretty scatter-brained, so I needed a place to "compile" all of my ideas.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good
Old 11-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Bronco II Nut

Thanks! playing with tire size calculators right now. was going to add more to my previous post, but the edit button is gone today. probably a problem on my end, our work computers run explorer 8 because our main labor tracking program is about 5 years out of date.

Quick Reply: 2012 STX 2wd w/ elec. locker