Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 raptor long travel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Ntm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 raptor long travel

I'm just finishing up a brenthel long travel install, and as there's virtually no information out there on these, I thought I'd share a few pics and my experiences so far.

First a little history, I use my truck at work, off road just about every day. I'm usually moving at high speed on what amount to trails and unimproved roads.
I've done the usual Deaver, bumps, 3.0 shocks (both icon and fox) and was pretty happy with it. However, I wore the front end out again, pretty much every component was ready for replacement, including the lower control arms.
So I started pricing out everything from the outlaw/ h&m kit to the stock stuff.
What I found was that by the time I did an aftermarket lca, with the secondary external bypass shock, new uca and an upgraded spindle I was at the same price as the brenthel kit, but without the extra travel. And no loss of turning radius with the lt kit.

So I decided to do a lt kit.
I started comparing the lt kits.
The outlaw/ h&m is undoubtably the king of lt kits and well tested, but pricey at $15,000, and not an easy DIY install due to the extensive amount of welding and fabrication. I was quoted $5000 for the install. $20,000 is over the top for a regular joe like myself.

I went to Arizona on vacation and stopped by sdhq to have a look at their lt setup. It has the advantage of an easier install as there is little welding and the coil buckets are retained. I saw signs of interference on the truck they had it installed on, rubbing of the coil spring/cv/steering rods. That combined with the price (close to $15,000) and use of icon coilovers (I don't like their digressive damping) was enough to shy me away.

The brenthel kit had little to no information out there on it, so I called and picked Jordan Brenthel's brain about the kit. He was very helpful and informative.
Price was right at $10,000 for the kit and king 2.5 coilovers, king 2.5 bypasses, and king bump stops.
The kit arrived in roughly 3-4 weeks, as king needed time to build the shocks, and somehow survived the trip to canada relatively unscathed.

The kit includes lca, uca, spindle, tie rods, straps, bump mounts, strap mounts, brake lines, engine cage, shock mounts, cv axles and all hardware. Everything appeared solid and well built.

Name:  imagejpg1_zps818f75c0.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  75.6 KB

The instruction PDF was pretty basic, it pointed you in the right direction, but the pictures were of an older ford, and lots of stuff that might be second nature to all the fabricators out there was missing. I'll try to include as much info on the unexpected stuff I encountered as possible.

So first step is to strip the truck of all the front suspension and fenders:

Name:  imagejpg2_zpse82ab739.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  61.5 KB

Then cut off the coilover bucket, a small grinder and zip cuts made short work of this. This is what makes this particular kit a fairly stress free install. The new shock mounts are located off of the existing uca mount holes. You can't really get it wrong.

Name:  imagejpg3_zps6390fbfd.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  68.2 KB

There is a removable engine cage that ties the two shock mounts together.

Weld blankets are must haves, and there are a few brake lines and wires to move out of harms way, then welding time.

Name:  imagejpg6_zps5734a135.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  67.3 KB

At this point the lca mounting points also get plated in, so that all alignment adjustments are made up top on the uca hiem's. Yay, no more wandering alignment settings !!

Cv's get torn apart and new longer axles installed. You'll need cv clamp pliers and cv grease. And a lot of paper towel, lol.

Name:  imagejpg4_zps9f5b0527.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  54.3 KB

Now it's time to bolt everything up, and check clearances, measure travel and cv angles. You'll have to remove the coilover spring and dump it's nitrogen. The wheel hubs also get re clocked to allow abs sensor clearance.

Name:  imagejpg3_zpsd0bcecad.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  imagejpg3_zps1123550e.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  63.2 KB

The instructions don't say anything about clearancing the hydro formed rails, but they do mention to set the cv angles at 26 degrees. This measured out at only 12.5 inches of travel before hitting the upper rail with uca.
Out came the sledgehammer and I went to work on the upper rails. In a later conversation with Jordan, I discovered they usually just cut these.
The damn things are tough !

Name:  imagejpg9_zpsa6096c23.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  49.1 KB

This combined with dropping the cv angles to 30 degrees gave 15.5" of travel, strapped and bumped. The cv's aren't binding there, but their load capacity and boot life would be effected negatively. I only use 4wd for getting unstuck, the truck should never be drooped right out in 4wd, so no problem. Without the cv's limiting things, another inch at least of droop is available.

The passenger side windshield washer tank has to go away. These are only 35" tires.

Name:  imagejpg2_zps9d9abed6.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Ntm

Bump stop fitting is next, it gets kind of inset into the uca mount structure. No way to do this without just cutting and fitting. Plates are included for boxing it in after you have it in the right location. Please ignore the ugly welds on the brake line tabs, those were my doing, I had a friend who is a welder by trade do everything else.
You will have to dump the nitrogen out of the bump of course. The bumps are shortened by king to a 2" stroke.
Also of note, the uca mount sheet metal closest to the external bypass shock must be trimmed back as far as possible. At full droop there is only half a mm of clearance on mine after trimming.

Name:  imagejpg8_zps1b10015f.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  60.3 KB

Strapped and bumped. Need to weld mounts to the frame and engine cage yet for reservoirs. These aren't included, but sdhq has you covered.

Name:  imagejpg14_zpsd590ae74.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  imagejpg15_zpsc89179e5.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  57.4 KB

Glass fenders are necessary, svc hooked me up with some glassworks +2".
I'd go for the boatec's next time. The glassworks are okay, but will give you fits if you are somewhat OCD.

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsada92bde.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  imagejpg1_zps329bf0a9.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  64.4 KB

That's about as far as I've gotten so far. The fenders are currently out for paint. And the truck is going in for an alignment.
I'll update after I've done some runs on the same test loops I ran the icon and fox 3.0's on. In initial redneck, no fender testing, the rear end that used to feel pretty much on par with the front, now sucks. It's going to be good...but I can see lots more money being thrown at the rear end soon.

My experience with brenthel has been outstanding. They actually called me to see how the install was going and if I had any questions.
Jordan was taking the time to correspond with me via email, while prerunning the 1000. Excellent customer service.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Ntm

Welded tabs to the frame for the external bypass reservoirs.
And tabs to the engine cage for the coilover reservoirs.

Name:  imagejpg4_zps8968534d.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  imagejpg2_zpsfc1a6ad1.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  74.1 KB
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Ntm

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsbd8e25b4.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  62.4 KB

I used the glassworks fender liners, we will see how long they last as on max compression the tire is theoretically 1" to 2" above the liners. They'd be a definite no go with 37" tires, but with the 35" tires in practical use, they might be okay. They haven't been hit yet, but I haven't found anything to really challenge the suspension yet.
I can say that without even having it tuned yet, it is much faster than either icon or fox 3.0 setup. On the same places, at the same speeds where I'd be white knuckling the steering wheel, the brenthel kit just glides with no drama.
Street manners are fine. No sway bar but the truck has enough damping that it doesn't body roll as much as I thought it might. Comparable to a stock truck.
The ride is slightly stiffer, but feels more controlled. Turn in is more aggressive, not sure if that's my alignment or a small geometry change. A little bit more wandering on the highway as well.

When you put this much time and money into a project, you worry that it won't live up to your expectations. One thinks things like "how much better could it be than a 3.0 setup ? ". From my initial testing it appears to be as big a difference again, if not more, than going from a stock raptor to a 3.0/deavers/bumps raptor.
Very pleased with the brenthel kit at this point, it's a bargain compared to the other lt kits available.

Name:  imagejpg2_zps226ad614.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Ntm

So I've been out tuning on this brenthel kit.
It's ridiculous.
3.0's aren't even close. The lt kit sticks like a cat on Velcro.
You can crest a hill, or come out of a g-out, and immediately correct your line. Feels unnatural, the truck is way up in the air and you're totally in control. Same with big hits or g-outs, its very progressive and there is no big thump and subsequent upset to the chassis.
It sucks up the small to medium stuff with zero drama, its hard to tell you are hitting anything. Big stuff is more of a "whoooomp", not a "bang" like the stock shocks and 3.0's.
My wife lied to me, travel length certainly matters !

Something else I'm seeing on the gopro footage is that unlike some lt kits, it doesn't ride on the bumps in light to medium use. They only strike the lca on high articulation angles. Makes tuning easier as you don't have a big compression jump until very late in the travel.
I'm impressed as hell, can't quite believe how much faster it is now on my regular trails, yet more composed too. It is damn near boring on fast whooped out sections where I felt right on the razors edge with the 3.0's.

Worth the money and time ?
Hell yes !
I'm shocked how much better it actually is, I did not expect such a dramatic difference compared to the old 3.0/deaver setup.
Downsides, it does wander a bit more on the highway, it does feel a little like you're driving a trophy truck in terms of chassis response, and you've seen how they handle on pavement.
Upsides, it handles a little like a trophy truck in the dirt !
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Badass! Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:35 AM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

Damn! Nice raptor! It looks badass man!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Gurgle gurgle gurgle gurgle
Old 02-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

We need a vid of this bad boy in action.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Senior Citizen

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow!

Quick Reply: 2011 raptor long travel