Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Fx4 5.0L "Ghost Train" Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2011 Fx4 5.0L "Ghost Train" Build

Purchased my 2011 Fx4 5.0L V8 in Oct 2011. (you know what that looks like)

2 week later had my date with the 4x4 shop. Got a 4" Rancho lift, 20" RBP Wheels and 35" Nitto Tires. (see below)

Had truck about another week and decided I wanted to put a train horn on it. Purchased my train horn (from Hornblasters.com) and went to work.

I removed the spare tire and holder (not like I will use that with these new feet I have now right?) and used that spot to mount my horns. Got a piece of sheet metal from Lowes and mounted my horns to it and then mounted the sheet metal to the underside of the truck. (see below)

Now most people tend to mount the air compressor and tank for the horns inside their truck box. Well I don't have a truck box and wanted to make sure it was all out of the way just in case. Because of this I mounted my compressor and tank under the truck just below the rear bumper. (see below)

Had to weld a "shelf" to mount the compressor but it worked out quite nicely. (see below)

Now with all that run, gotta have a spot for the air gauge, compressor switch and horn button right? Well I found a spot and mounted it all right here. (see below)

Now that was done but I keep reading these damn forums and seeing other people's trucks and I just get to feeling like I am still behind. Specially from a certain few (as you might be able to tell cause my truck is starting to look more and more like theirs) Anyway, my next thing was getting a BedRug. Did not want a spray in or drop in and well... I love it. After that I wanted something to cover the back of the truck in case I had stuff back there and something I could remove quickly if I needed to. I went with a simple Rugged Cover. 3 panels that lock into place and does what I needed it to and still looks stylish.

Hmmm what next? Well after seeing a billet grill I just had to have one of those so I purchased a Carriage Works Billet Grill. Was scary cutting my month old brand new one but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do and results are fantastic. (see below)

Of course I hated the long antenna so I got a stubby. I only use my XM anyway so the stubby makes it cool. Nice $10 mod. Saw some other custom decals so had to get those as well. My truck is all black and the chrome from the screws on the fender flares with the chrome on the nerf bars and the little on the wheels just set my truck off. Having that red and black Fx4 sticker sucked. I got this instead and personalized it. (see below)

Looking good... now what? Well read the damn vendor forums and now had to get a CAI and went with the Airaid (will install that next week) and since I did that and have big tires and wheels I had to get a tuner so read a little more and went with Mike over at 5Star for my SCT X3 tuner. That should be here tomorrow or Monday.

What about lights? Yea, figures I had to get those to. Just put on the SmittyBuilt lightbar today and found a good deal on Amazon for 4 PIAA 520 offroad lights. Will try to get those installed next weekend.

I will get some pictures of these last mods when I get them on and I hope I am finally done for a while!

Hope you like my build... its been fun and expensive but its worth it.

PS - Calling it the "Ghost Train" because its black and has train horns. Personalized license plate will be here next week. Got GHST-TRN on it ;-p
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Just got my lightbar and PIAA's installed this past weekend. Turned out fantastic and they are super bright. Got the 520's and the smittybuilt lightbar.

Last edited by SpoonSG; 01-23-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: new picture
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Hmmm over 200 views and no replies. Starting to feel like noone likes my truck ;(
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your truck. Lol.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM

O yea, forgot to mention that I also got my custom tune from Mike at 5startuning.com and omg what a difference. The power, the feel of the pedals when I hit the gas, the difference in shifting gears. Totally night and day and its incredible. Also picked up almost 1 extra MPG.

And just got an email from blackflamecustoms.com about my new HID's. Apparently they are finished and ready to be shipped. These are gonna look so awesome on my "Ghost Train"

Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good can't wait to see them on the truck

Kyle
Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
2008 Ford F-150 XLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love it those lights are going to look sweet
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 262 Likes on 126 Posts

Very nice build. Details and pics! All builds should be like this!
Wish I had the money you are putting in your truck though. Just plan on doing stuff to my truck like train horn but never get the money! Haha.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've read somewhere those train horns are plastic? How would ya rate them quality wise, and would you buy them again? I've been looking at those for a while now, just havent pulled the trigger.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Great build, your truck looks sick!
The following users liked this post:
Foxinc666 (05-24-2015)

Quick Reply: 2011 Fx4 5.0L "Ghost Train" Build