Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build

At the end of January I bought the truck I've always wanted. I've had F-150s before, but I always wanted a 09-14 blue flame FX4 or STX Supercrew. I finally got my dream truck (with the exception of a Raptor of course) and I'm excited to get the mods done. I picked up a 2009 FX4 Supercrew, 5.5' bed, with the FX4 luxury package.

It came with some very basic extras, including a spray in Line X bedliner, Extang Trifecta tonneau, and an aftermarket Kenwood audio system that really kicks.

I'll update mods as they come!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM

Just got my Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit installed today. After install the ABS light was on, so I was worried a line got crushed. Turns out a line was already partially sliced (dirty as hell inside the cut, wire was already corroded) and I must have finished the job without completely cutting the shroud. So after another $100 part I got it all taken care of and everything works like it should. I was surprised how nice it feels after hearing so much about the ride being crappy with a spacer kit. It just looks a ton better, too.

Wheels/tires to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-level-after-side.jpg   2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-level-after-front.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good! love the color. are those measurements before and after or front to rear? it doesnt look like you have almost 2" of rake still so i assume before and after. what tires/ rims do you have planned? is that kit the one that comes with the rear 1" block as well or just the front spacer? I was looking at autospring lift with the AAI for the rear, did you compare that to the RC lift?
The following users liked this post:
michaellake (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by huntmaster86
looking good! love the color. are those measurements before and after or front to rear? it doesnt look like you have almost 2" of rake still so i assume before and after. what tires/ rims do you have planned? is that kit the one that comes with the rear 1" block as well or just the front spacer? I was looking at autospring lift with the AAI for the rear, did you compare that to the RC lift?
Thanks! Those are the before and after measurements to the front. The rear is almost exactly the same as the front. It's so close that the rear will sit about 1/8" higher or lower based on the slope it's sitting on. I got the $100 kit that doesn't come with rear blocks. The other option is the $200 kit that comes with rear blocks and shocks. I don't tow, so I didn't feel like I needed the blocks. You don't need them to tow unless you're worried about the appearance when you are.

I'm planning on doing 20x9 black wheels on 33-34" tires. For wheels I've liked Raceline Assaults and Raptors, Red Dirt Road Dirts, Ballistic Razorbacks, and a couple others. For tires I've been looking at Kanati Trail Hogs in a 275/65/20.

I didn't do the AS because I heard great things about the RC from a buddy who has one. I also wanted the 2.5" because of the tire size I'm planning.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok thanks. I two have had great luck with RC. I ran there kit on my 97 wrangler and i put that rig to the test rock crawling, never had an issue with em. cant wait to see what you do next to your rig
Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks, I can't either! I'm pretty excited about the finished product (not like it'll ever be finished). I think the wheels/tires will be a month or two down the road. Until then I'm looking at replacing the headlights, tail lights, turn signals, cargo lights, and fogs with LEDs. I already have the Raptor grille lights but I need to wait for warmer weather than this Wisconsin winter since I need 3M tape to stick. I've looked at different light bar options and think I'm going to go with the KC C40 light bar with the front bumper/tow hook mount, and eventually a roof bar. Performance will include a CAI, catback, and tuner.

The absolute next thing though, is fixing my third brake light. I went through the car wash yesterday and saw water dripping from the headliner into my back seat. I've looked on here and saw it was a common problem, but it's frustrating seeing as I JUST bought it. I'm not going to bother with the dealer because I'll end up fixing it cheaper and better than they will.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Default 3rd brake light gasket leak fix

So update on the old leak from the 3rd brake light...

I finally opened up the light and man was that old gasket ruined. You can see pics below of the old one versus the new. I haven't 100% tested it yet, but I can tell it's going to be better. I also replaced the o-rings behind the screws just in case.

While I had it off I decided to tint the lens. I thought the white looking light looked weird with the darker FX4 stock lights. I used one coat of Rustoleum lens tint spray and it matched the stock ones pretty well. I didn't want to spend $80 on a Recon one and not have it look like my stock lights. I threw LEDs in there to replace the stock bulbs. I got them from F150LEDs.com and they look awesome. I previously put in LED license plate lights and reverse lights, so all my lights on the back are now white instead of a dingy yellow.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-3rd-brake-before.jpg   2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-3rd-brake-after.jpg   2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-3rd-brake-installed.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 PM

Default New Fogs

Picked up some LED fogs from Amazon for $50. Surprisingly, they are REALLY bright and look great.

Before and after pics below.

Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 1G 2200 Lumens Extremely Bright H10 9145 Cree LED Bulbs with for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White(Brightest Fog lights on the market): Automotive Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 1G 2200 Lumens Extremely Bright H10 9145 Cree LED Bulbs with for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White(Brightest Fog lights on the market): Automotive
Attached Thumbnails 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-fogs-before.jpg   2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-fogs-after.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 PM

Default New headlights, LED bar, rear LED pods, and Raptor grille lights

I added new headlights with a DRL tube, a 22" LED bar in the bumper opening, and Raptor grille lights.

The headlights were an eBay purchase and surprisingly look and function great.

The LED bar was a challenge, but after moving the front license plate (Wisconsin requires them ) and trimming the bumper inserts it looks awesome. The switch is a simple one I mounted right under the stock light and pedal controls. It is ridiculously bright.

The rear LED pods are awesome. I wired them into the tails as I didn't want to risk corrosion by wiring into the trailer harness.

The Raptor lights are three separate pieces instead of one piece with 3 lights. I think spreading them out gave a more aggressive look.

It's coming along! Tail lights are next once my bank account recovers.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-headlights.jpg   2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build-headlights-angle.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great man. Good job so far.
The following users liked this post:
michaellake (04-19-2016)

Quick Reply: 2009 FX4 Supercrew Blue Flame Build