Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 XLT 4x4 Build - Alaska Style

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Tyler K.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 XLT 4x4 Build - Alaska Style

I've been looking around the forums for information and ideas for a long time now, and figure I better start posting. I bought my F-150 almost 2 years ago now, had about 25,000 miles at the time. Over the last couple of years I have been planning on doing some mods and recently have slowly been starting to accomplish them. Here is what she looked like when I brought her home:

It didn't take long for me to get the itch to have some smoked tail lights, so after a couple of days and some tint, I ratlecanned my own tail lights. I taped off the reverse light spot, I wanted to break up the black a little bit.

Here's just a couple of pictures of the truck without anything cosmetic done to it.

So last January, I went to the store to get some food and when I came out I was greeted by this:

Nobody left a message, no witnesses. I planned on getting it repaired right after but got deployed so that got put on hold. Now that I'm back, I plan on getting it fixed after I fix my suspension. I have a leaf spring that snapped in half and slid out of the shackle. Has anybody else had this happen? I'm getting it fixed this weekend, and probably going to get some new wheels while I'm out and about.

Here's a breakdown of my list:

Done:
-Super Series 40 Flowmasters hot-piped right in front of rear tire
-Spyder 2 projector headlights w/ LED
-Smoked taillights
-Custom stereo deck
-4/1 HD leaf springs
-Bilstein shock absorbers (Rear)

Planned:
-Cold air intake
-33 or 35 in tires
-Black wheels with chrome accent (on bolts and outer edges)
-Bed liner
-Paint bottom rocker panels w/ King Ranch tan color
-Fender flares w/ rivets
-Tonneau cover
-2-3 inch leveling kit
-Better stereo
-Super charger
-Upgraded brakes
-Shortty pipe headers
-Limo tent all around minus windshield
-Upgrade transmission to possible 6 speed conversion
-Performance chip

My list is long, and I'm sure it will change (it does almost everyday) but that's at least a shot in the dark. I plan on doing all performance upgrades first, then cosmetic. A truck is only as good as it runs. I'm gonna do a Dyno run soon so I can get a start and finish reference on the performance data.

Anyways, thanks for looking. I look forward to getting to know some of you and sharing my build with you. I will post more pictures of the truck later with better detail.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Tyler K.

Got my light bar in today to do the Raptor lights behind the grill. Not sure if I'm going to cut out the honeycomb or not and just mount it. Any ideas?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, that sucks on the damage from the low-life chicken that hit you.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Tyler K.

Default Update 11/30/2013

So, still haven't installed the Raptor lights yet. It has either been dumping snow, or -10 degrees outside. I don't have a garage to work in, so I'm waiting for the weather to be nicer.

I ordered a Smittybuilt light bar, along with some Hella and KC lights that will mount infront of the bumper. Also looking at ordering some XD797 black wheels and leveling kit. Will post pictures when I install them. My truck will also be going to the body shop in a month to get the damaged repaired from the accident, that is what I'm waiting for before getting too far into the truck.

Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a new grill. I don't like the look with the Ford logo in the grille. I'm wanting the Saleen grille, but can't find anywhere that has them in stock. When you order a grille, does it normally come with a shell? (The chrome portion around the grille). I want to replace that also, but haven't found any shells. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Tyler K.

Default Update 12/1/2013

So today I picked up some LED lights for the truck after being pulled over for burnt out tail lights. I have to go back to the shop tomorrow because the brake and reverse lights won't work, but I got the 3rd reverse light and cab lights in.

While there, I picked up some Rigid Industries Dually LED lights for my light bar. I am hoping to get them installed this week and use them as spot lights for off-roading or use them as ditch lights to watch out for moose on the side of the road.

With black lense cover I got for them:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerkhn
Got my light bar in today to do the Raptor lights behind the grill. Not sure if I'm going to cut out the honeycomb or not and just mount it. Any ideas?

I cut the honeycomb and my lights sat flush. You wouldn't notice unless you're inspecting the front.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Tyler K.

Originally Posted by whatpavment?
I cut the honeycomb and my lights sat flush. You wouldn't notice unless you're inspecting the front.
Can you post a picture of that? What did you use to hold it onto the grill with?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Tyler K.

Default Update 12/4/2013

Today I got the Dually's installed and they look awesome. Didn't get the Hella's wired up yet because I need to figure out which wire I tap into for running lights.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice 150 Bro. Just PCS'd out of Ak...miss Ft Rich auto.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 148 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerkhn
Can you post a picture of that? What did you use to hold it onto the grill with?
Hey man I'll get a pic for you asap. Been working past 8 every night this week. Honestly I used mini black zip ties. Never had a problem with them either.

Quick Reply: 2008 XLT 4x4 Build - Alaska Style