Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XL build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 XL build

Hey guys. Just picked up this truck from my brother-in-law. I have a few ideas for it but am finding some really great ideas from looking at other builds on here.
Name:  Driver side.JPG
Views: 2456
Size:  93.8 KB

A little history about the truck: It started life as a work truck for a Powder Company. My bro-in-law sets explosive charges for rock quarries.
Its a 05 XL with the 4.6l engine. Vinyl seats and floors. Power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt and remote keyless entry. The truck was driven on average of about 300 miles per day. It current has 246,000 miles on it but has been maintained religiously by the Ford dealership. If it was due for a service, it was done. The maintenance record is about an inch think I am told if it were to be printed out. Truck still runs perfect with no issues at all other than a few cosmetic issues.

I just picked it up last weekend and I have already purchased some Falken Wild Peak 325/60/18s. A buddy of mine has these tires in a smaller size and he really likes them.

Name:  Falken-WildPeak-AT_lg.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  18.7 KB

I plan to make the purchase on these wheels to go on it. I love the look. They have a -12 offset. I plan to add a 2.5" leveling kit.
Name:  Ballistic.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  80.4 KB

My wife can hardly climb her short self into it as it sets so I am thinking about adding something like this to it.
Name:  iron-cross-hd-nerf-bars.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  17.2 KB

I love the idea of a white truck all blacked out. I plan to tent the windows as well. I am also thinking of removing the bumpers and spaying them with LineX and along the bottom even with the front and back bumpers down the side of the truck. The truck spent its time in quarries so it has some chips down there.

If anyone has any cool ideas, Im all ears.

Check back in the future for updates.
Brian
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM

This is my first update. Tires, wheels and leveling kits have been ordered. Should have some pics up in a few weeks.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 PM
It is what it is...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should look good with those upgrades. Nothing like starting with a blank slate.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM

I got my wheels and tires in today. They will be on tomorrow. I will post pictures tomorrow.

2005 XL build-img_1676.jpg
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sub'd!!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Ok, finally got the leveling kit installed and wheels and tires mounted. I think a nice set of black fender flares will make it look really good. Those are next on my list to purchase.
2005 XL build-drivers-side.jpg
Name:  Front.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  96.0 KB
2005 XL build-pass-side.jpg

I love the white paint with a blacked out look.

After putting the wheels on, I realized that they exposed the rotor hat and brake caliper more than the original wheels did so I removed the back wheels and did some painting. I painted the rotor hats and calipers with black caliper paint and got a can of bed liner spray (picture below) to spray everything else. I think it looks much cleaner.

Name:  Before and After.PNG
Views: 650
Size:  115.7 KB

This is the bed liner spray that I used. It worked well I think.
2005 XL build-wheel-well-spray.jpg

I plan to do the fronts as well but it started raining on me so I had to close up shop.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome work man! Def gonna keep watching this build to get good ideas! Truck looks great and I like the way the wheel tire combo worked out

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

Looks good! No red inserts on the wheels? It would look 100x better with that plastic bumper cap painted white.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by smcox1
Looks good! No red inserts on the wheels? It would look 100x better with that plastic bumper cap painted white.
No, I didnt like the red inserts. It would have been the only thing on the truck that is red. I could have gotten a set of white inserts when I bought the wheels but they would have been $40 more. I might have a buddy of mine professionally paint the red ones white, see how they turn out and maybe put them on.

Plastic bumper cap: Do you mean the black plastic between the bumper and headlights?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by smcox1
I want to spray the bumpers with linex or rynolining to blacken them out. Any thoughts on how that would look?

Quick Reply: 2005 XL build