Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement

I joined the forum for help and ideas, also to provide any heloved for someone looking to replace there engine.

The truck I bought is a 05 Lariat. Timing chain guides went and chain wore away some of the timing cover. I am looking to get a rebuilt engine from Colt Powertrain. Engines come pretty much ready to drop in and the warranty is 3 years/100k for $3000. Has anyone purchased a rebuilt from this company? Or might it be more cost effective to have my engine rebuilt?

I'm also looking to replace the manifold with a set of headers. What type of header would go well with my cat back magnaflow system, short or long tube?

To remove the engine i first unhooked the harness of course. Intake, fan shroud, fan, dash trim, alternator, powersteeeing pump, radiator, and AC condenser all came off. I was unable to free the manifold from the exhaust. So it got cut 2 inches before the cats. Passenger side engine mount was fairly easy. I unbolted the mount from the frame. Driver side was a little tricky. The mount to frame bolt took a 24mm socket and mine was pretty tight. I opted to remove the 3 13mm (I believe) bolts from the mount to the engine. I got one removed from the bottom and the other 2 from the top. The bell housing bolts weren't bad. Top 2 required about 2ft worth of extensions and a swivel. A mistake I made was I pulled the starter off that did not need to be pulled off. Once it was ready to come out I hooked up my $100 1 ton harbor freight cherry picker to rear 2 bellhouse bolts and on the front I bolted the chains to the alternator holes. The cherry picker just barely pulled it!! It was maxed out and swaying so I have no pictures of that lol it took me 23 hours to have the motor out! Hopefully it takes the same amount of time to install.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement-img_4149.jpg   2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement-img_4186.jpg   2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement-img_4141.png   2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement-img_4224.jpg   2005 Lariat 5.4 Engine Replacement-img_4225.jpg