Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 F-150 2wd refresh

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 F-150 2wd refresh

I got lucky when I found my Ford Truck. I found my Ford on craigslist after he was placed up for sale by an older gentleman looking to retire and decrease the amount of vehicles in his possession. I picked him up for $2,000 cash and drove him home.

1992 F-150 2wd refresh-truck6.jpg

So far, I've done some basic maintenance on the truck, to include an oil change, spark plugs and wires and a new air filter. Upon changing of the oil, I found a small leak around the rear of the oil pan. I plan to remove the oil pan and replace the oil pan gasket as long as the oil pan itself seems fine. While I have the oil pan off, I just might as well replace the oil pump. There is a few things needed in the front suspension that I am planning to get to this weekend coming up. He needs shocks, upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends. I figured while I have it torn down, I might as well replace the brake pads (the rotors are still good) then I get to spend some cash on a few things I want to do to it.

Name:  truck5.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  85.6 KB

The old 5.0L 302 is still stock and original with a mere 150,800 miles on her. The automatic transmission still shifts pretty smooth (downshift out of OD is rough at times, though) and seems to have a bit of life left in it. I want to do a 9 inch swap with the rear end sometime this summer. I have found a few I can rebuild for rather cheap and as soon as I can talk the wife into it (hahaha) I'm going to go pick one up.

Name:  truck2.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  116.4 KB

The distance pictures look a little better than what it looks like up close. The roof and hood are both faded (but not peeling. it must be single-stage paint) so that will need to be taken care of sometime soon. As soon as I get the engine and suspension where I want it (to include the 9 inch, haha) I'll worry about the paint work. I'm an old ASE certified collision repairman myself, but I don't have anywhere at my house where I can do the work without choking out everyone in my house (attached garage) with the fumes. I'll get it done somehow!

Name:  truck4.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  76.3 KB

The body is rather straight and solid with the exception of this small rust hole on the roof above the driver's side cab corner glass. It'll need some attention soon before it rots through to the headliner.

Well, there he is. That's my "Zeus." He's getting to be quite the fun project and with pretty decent body and a good start, I wouldn't call it a "build" but more like a "refresh" like the title of the post suggested. The interior is in rather good shape as well. The dash pad is cracked and the steering wheel is showing wear at the top. The driver's door panel is blistered, faded and cracked at the top and the mounting areas are breaking away, so they will both need replaced. The carpet is decent. I've hand scrubbed it twice! But some of the stains are more stubborn than I, so it will get a change sometime soon as well. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for reading my post!

Quick Reply: 1992 F-150 2wd refresh