Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 F150 xlt build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 F150 xlt build

all these post are from my jeep site over the past 3 wks so most of the ? have been answered, but feel free to jump in with answers

well i have procurred a 1984 ford f150 xlt 4x4, 302 v8/ mortorcraft 2100 carb, dana 44 TTB frt axle /ford 8.8 rear, np206 t-case,np435 tranny, dont think this is the original engine, not sure.
having brake/turn signal(rear) & rev light issues, does not light up-frt turns work fine, does anybody know where i could get a wiring diagram?, had a bad socket on rev light- replacing that, also had a few bad bulbs already replaced them, going to start following wires tomorrow.
also think the carb might need a little tweaking, although the throttle cable broke and this could have been the issue cause right before i notice it was broke when i fired it up the throttle would stick open and not close when i let off the skinny pedal. going to replace this also tomorrow then see if she idles good.
any tips,suggestions greatly aprreciated. wish me luck guys! will get pics up soon
when i fixed the thrtl cable the idle sounded a lot better and yes i did have a spring issue but seems fine where i hooked it back up, also the bracket the thrtl cable mounts to on the top of the engine was bent back towards the firewall so i had to bend it forward a little and that allowed the engine to kick down properly. just have to get my brakes and turn signals working and i am off and runnin.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

well after hrs of chasing wire i found a cpl split/and rubbed wires. i now have break,turn sig on left rear side but still no brake/trn sig on right rear side. have a cpl more avenues to chase but i am def on the right track.
? why would the brk/trn sig bulb on the right rear be brighter then the brk/trn sig bulb on the left rear? both are new bulbs, the left rear signal socket is new the right rear is old????
took the truck out today to test new thrtl cable and she purrs like a kitten, still dont look quite right-assumed it should be str8 from the mounting brket on top of engine to the carb and it has a little bow in it between the mting brkt and the carburator?
my neighbor tim is going to come over and show me how to hook up a choke, there is a pull choke under the dash but was not hooked up to carb, just wire running thru the firewall.
DAMN forgot to take pics again!! i will take pics tomorrow
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 PM

well i got the rear wiring done, it seems between a missing ground and the bed actually coming off of a 1986 f150 and me following the wiring diagram for a 1984 f150 i got it all figured out! now i am street legal
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM

had a friend of mine come over tonight and help me adjust my carb, so it idles alot better, sounds like a 302 now instead of a funny car. lol
also i am going to be installing a 7,6,4, way elect outlet for towing and a plate light
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM

well i thought i had my rear lights fixed and the right stopped working again, it seems i have a bad socket from auto zone, seems my truck shakes, rattles & rolls a little too much. lol
anyway got my license plate light hooked up, got to get my tow plug hooked up then weld my hitch up.
go to pick a part for a few pieces.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM

well went to take a part today, great place found a bunch of trucks like mine! got a few parts- headliner,2 interior trim pieces, 2 door seals & the jackpot was a plate cover for my fuse box with all the info on fuses & placement of fuses. going back for a few other pieces that i found soon

also discovered once again a failure of another auto zone rear taillight socket, so i am returning it and having a buddy who works @ napa to see what they have and replace it tommorrow.

also discovered my starter is bad, it is drawing on my new battery and killing it. replacing it tomoorow also, thank god the alternator is new, after the starter this truck should be good to go
damn glad the engines runs good, much more and i might just sell her and try to find something else
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM

ok i got the same exact rear taillight socket from napa and it works just fine? how the hell is this possible for auto zones to have 1 out of 4 that work and napa's first one works just fine?
also discovered( i am an idiot) i got half way thru removing the header to get to the starter, got bottom bolt out of starter and was getting ready to remove top bolt and lo and behold i see a ground wire running from my battery(grd) to my engine block was ripped out of its eyelet holder, so put it all back together to test if this was my problem and sure enough it was, so i did not have to replace starter
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM

ok went ahead and installed a new starter today, old one was def going bad. pretty damn easy! didnt even have to remove the header on the pass side, seems i just have to twist my arm 295 degrees between 2 header pipes and presto i can reach the top bolt. lol
fires everytime now, no problem! hell the only external piece that i can replace now is power steering pump, which i priced @ auto zone for $50
gotta say startin to like this old truck!!!!! she is runnin really well!!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM

ok been puttin off lookin @ the brakes and it seems i need rear brakes, "DAMN" havent looked @ the front, wife came home and made cocktails & a fire on the back deck- work over on truck!!!!!!. lol
will look @ front tomorrow! checked prices @ auto zone - they quoted me $20 for both rear shoes, sweet!, also either need to have pass rear drum turned or buy new one. but prolly will upgrade shoes a little for a little more $, also changed rear diff gear oil- **** was a little dirty!, also doing frt diff tomorrow. got a case of amsoil gear oil 75-140 for $12
any idea if this rear end might have? or ever did? have a limited slip diff? just askin i know if it does i have to add an additive for this type of diff?. how can i tell if it does?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM

well it seems the brakes auto zone sold me does not fit properly and i think somebody put on the wrong shoes last time they were replaced, they ride too far back into the back plate- which the old shoes had the some marks on them indicating this theory, so i am going to that brake place off of wells to have him tell me what is what( whats the name of that place?)
well i cleaned up the rear punkin and found these #'s
all these #'s are cast in the punkin and on the rear of the punkin, where the driveshaft enters the punpkin

top left of punkin E47.W AIA
bottom left- ford emblem in oval
top right of punkin- 1 2 and an upside down tear drop under the #'s 12
bottom right- A in a circle
so any clue what type of axle this is

Quick Reply: 1984 F150 xlt build