Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill

Old 02-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill

Hey all, first time posting here.
To start off I purchased my 2014 FX4 back in August 2016 with the intent of keeping it totally stock... obviously that was never going to happen.

When i purchased the truck, it already had a 2" level, and 3" blocks in the rear. It had the original wheels and tires off of a 2015-2016 F150. 20" wheels and 275/55 R20. It also has a 2" cowl hood, not sure of the brand but I love it.
On the inside the only thing aftermarket it came with was a Kicker Sub Stage box/sub (this thing hammers).
Other than that, the truck is totally stock. It rides like a dream, and gets 20mpg highway... but who cares, it's a truck.

So far since owning it, I've managed to replace the factor side mirrors with 1A Power fold towing mirrors with Recon tinted side marker lights.

I replaced the fog lights with Morimoto Led lights, and the lower grill is a Mountains2Metal's F-150 style grill.

Some small things added include a led backup lights, led interior lights, led switchback parking lights, windshield tint visor, shorty antenna, billet aluminum black Ford front/rear emblems, plasti-dipped f-150 emblems, matt black FX4 bed decal, and a hood wind shield.

Here are some of the most recent pictures of my baby.
Attached Thumbnails 14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0042.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0048.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0052.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0044.jpg  

Last edited by Akozak11; 02-06-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 PM

I don't know how to continue a thread other than reply to my own message?

Anyways, this Saturday I will be mounting up some new shoes on this girl.

The wheels are XD Bully Satin black 17x8.5 +0 offset and the tires are Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70 r17 121 E load rating 10 ply.

I chose this setup because... off road & overkill. I wanted as much sidewall as possible, and I wanted the wheels to be protected from curbs and off road debris. I also wanted the 10 ply to handle rocky trails without issue as I plan on running this through some Grand Canyon trails this summer.

Some technical information on the setup:
Weights:
XD Bully: 29.5 Lbs.
Ridge Grappler: 62.4 Lbs.
Total per corner: 91.9 Lbs.
Grand total; 367.60 Lbs. (pretty heavy setup)

And I obviously had to get some black lug nuts to match, so I went with Gorilla's locking lug system in satin black.

Here are some pictures of all the goods just sitting around the house.
Attached Thumbnails 14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-xd-bully.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_2484.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_2482.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0073.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0071.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I like those ridge grapplers. Looked at those myself as a possibility for my next tires. Love that front grilll for the intercooler you have on it too.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people on here.

I don't think you will keep 20mpg when you swap to the new rubber. Expect a couple mpg loss. Weight and rolling resistance sucks, but the trade off is worth it. Post some more pics once you install. Will look good.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM

So from my calculations going from the factory 275/55R20 wheel which measures 31.9 x 10.8
and then going to the 295/70R17 wheel which measures 33.3x11.6

I should be gaining roughly 1.4" of tire height and .7" of vehicle lift... i'm curious to see if this works out.

Current height of the bottom of the fender flares at its highest points are:
Front: 39.25"
Rear: 40 13/16"

So from there we will see how much lift actually comes out of the tires.

Soon after getting these wheels on I will be doing a full brake overhaul with the Powerstop Tow/Haul kit, and with that i will be painting the calipers black, just to clean up the look.

From there I plan on upgrading the suspension. I'm still in my research phase on these but I'm torn between the Boss/Fox/Procomp coilovers and shocks. Whatever brand I run in the front I would like to run in the back, just to keep the brands consistent.

On top of that, I need to replace my lift blocks in the back with solid 3" blocks with the bump stops, as the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to stack a 2" blocks on the 1" block... and i'm sure the U bolts were never replace...

That's all I have for you guys right now. I will have pictures of the new wheel/tire setup this coming Saturday am!
Attached Thumbnails 14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_2515.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_2524-1-.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_2514.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 497 Likes on 349 Posts

Nice! It's going to turn out awesome!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM
www.sldraftingdesign.com

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Get those wheels mounted already!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks guys. The Nitto Ridge Grappler are probably my favorite looking tire out there right now. They look agressive and are supposed to be pretty quiet.

I'm kicking myself for scheduling a tire mount/balance so late in the week... But Saturday morning is the big day.

I'm debating on replacing all of my brakes (rotors/pads) while the wheels are off... but my voice of reason is telling me not to take on too much at one time. I think these wheels with the drilled/slotted rotors and black calipers will really give it a clean look.

Last edited by Akozak11; 02-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

nice setup, do u know what the stock rims/tires weigh?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM

I plan on weighing them when I get it back from the tire shop. I should have done it the last time I had the tires off but didn't think of it at the time.

Just from carrying the current wheels/tires around the last time I did a tire rotation, and carrying this new setup around the house, I can assume it's going to be a significant weight difference.

I'll post the weights Saturday when I get them on the scale.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Well... I got the wheels/tires on earlier than planned. I haven't measured anything yet for height changes, and I have yet to weigh the old wheel/tire setup.

One thing I will say is that i'm blown away by how quiet these tires are. I had it out on the highway around 65mph and I'd go as far as saying they are quieter than my Hankook Dynapros. There is a slight rumble from the tread but it isn't the high pitch highway sound other street tires make.

The seat of the pants feel is also slightly less with the weight/size of the tires/wheels but nothing an intake/tune probably couldn't fix.

Also, the suspension does feel a little sloppier. When hitting decent bumps, it just feels like the weight of the tires man-handles the stock shocks/trucks, so upgrades will probably be coming sooner than later.

Here are some quick pictures I took of the rig last night...
Attached Thumbnails 14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0085.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0083.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0081.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0080.jpg   14' FX4 Daily Driver Overkill-img_0078.jpg  

Search this Thread