Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Expy Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM
So cold in the D

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 06 Expy Build

This sucks. It sucks because off road parts for 2004+ Expeditions are not in demand; because they are not in demand there are not many parts around.

So - working with what I can find, adapt, and create...

I purchased the truck in August of 2013, as a winter-driver for Michigan weather. My daily is (was) a 2004 RX8.

Here's the truck - the day I bought it. 2006 Expy, Eddie Bauer, 4x4, Leather and stuff; 88k miles.

Pretty unspectacular, really. Each time the truck passed a soccer field it would instinctively turn towards it. Same with any place to get groceries.

Knowing I wanted at least a modicum of cool-factor, AND with my desire to always have more car than I need for any circumstance, I set-out looking for lifts and tires and what-not.

First up was tires and wheels. Unfortunately, the tire-size I wanted had few options. Same with wheels. I ended up adding a LOT of unsprung weight to the truck. I hate weight. But - here's the result - MB wheels with 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers. A supertuner re-adjusted the effective gearing, and gave me back a little power I "lost" through the added weight at the corners.

Ebay was the source for my 3.5"/2.5" spacer lift and leveling kit. I removed the running boards, and here's the new look of the truck.

Remember that bit about 'having more car than I need'? This winter I helped tug 6 or 8 cars from local ditches. One car, a disabled-person's Van, was too far down into the median for me to reach. I felt horrible leaving her and her driver stranded.

Couple that with being stuck in my back yard for two days as the truck was bottomed-out in wet, heavy snow, and I decided I no longer wished to be at the mercy of another car, OR have to leave somebody who really needed help.

I found Tactical Armor Group (TAG), based in Georgia, and placed my order for a wincher bumper.

That was half the battle. Next, I started looking at winches. After a few weeks of googling my brains out, I settled on a 10k Engo winch with synthetic line.

And finally, this weekend I found a screaming deal on new tires; while I have too much tire, I'm now motivated for a body lift Best part about the Larger 315/70s - I saved about 10-11lbs per corner, as these tires weigh less than the E-rated Nittos. Win!

Currently looking at a factory e-locker from 2011 model, if I can get one that fits my IRS 9.75 rear end. If not, it'll be truetracs front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails 06 Expy Build-img_2961.jpg   06 Expy Build-fire7381.jpg   06 Expy Build-expy_dunes.jpg   06 Expy Build-315onexpy.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very nice so far- it sux that the aftermarket isn't very good for these trucks
Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Dude that thing is sick!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

You rarely see an expedition up in the air but when you do they look pretty damn good!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want one.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
So cold in the D

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all, very much. At LEAST I can get TrueTracs or even ARB lockers because the difs are standard 9.75 rear, 8.8 front.

Quick Reply: 06 Expy Build