Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 XLT 4x4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 XLT 4x4 Build

I bought my f150 back in the spring of 2014 with about 115k miles on the motor. when I first bough it, it developed a bad misfire the first day or two after which lead to about $1000 worth of repairs between spark plugs, injector, and a new catalytic converter. The next upgrade/repair was a new set of tires before going back to school. Swapped the bald yokohama road tires for a set of 265/70/17 nitto terra grapplers and have loved them ever since!

Truck when I brought it home.

Testing out the new terra grapplers in some fresh mud.

Installed some inexpensive led lights to see how I like them before investing in higher quality ones.

Found a nearly new Jason camper shell for my truck on craigslist in Oklahoma. Bought it for a steal at $200. Used grade 8 bolts to secure it to the truck.

Installed a grill craft mesh grill onto the truck. Got the grill for free from an estate sale that I worked at.

Played in the mud and ended up having an expensive car wash to get most of it off. The engine bay was the worst.

Moved the led lights from the front bumper to the back of the truck to compensate for the poor reverse lights that come factory from the truck. Makes a world of difference when hooking up a trailer at night, letting drivers know you are coming out of a parking spot and backing up at night

Bought some cheap halogen lights on amazon for the winter, just to be able to have more lights on for drivers to see me,

Built a drawer system for my truck out of 11/16" osb and 1x6 and 1x8 pine boards. This is probably one of the best add ons that I did to my truck given that I am usually hauling boxes or trash and still need access to my tools.

My next plans for it are to get some form of brush guard on it, either just a basic grille guard or something much more substantial like a ranch hand bumper. From there, I am planning on getting a 2-3" hellbent leveling kit and then stuff 35" or 33" nitto terras. Hopefully find a salvaged f150 super crew with leather interior and do an interior swap. Possibly change out the radio (CD changer was stuck when I bought it and currently has some kidz bop cd in there). Seeing as I am a college kid and money is tight, it may be a while before any more upgrades.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Those drawers are awesome!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks! it tool a Sunday afternoon to get the frame and drawers of it built. The biggest headache was the side flaps and getting them to somewhat match up with contours of the truck. I have put close to 300+ lbs on it and it worked great.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM

This was right after I got it installed. between 14 6' tables, 3 4' tables, metal folding chairs and signs, it did not bow or crack at all.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:23 PM

So here are a few updates to the truck over the past few weeks. The most notable differences are that I sold the Jason topper and the drawers. The type of work that I do required that I have more flexibility and some dry storage as well from time to time. I sold the topper and drawers for more than I paid for them originally. With the extra cash, I purchased a Truxedo Truxport tonneau cover and love it! I also removed the Wade rock deflector from the front and it now sits on the wall in my bay of the garage. It made a lot of wind noise on the highway and passengers were beginning to complain about the noise.

Quick Reply: 05 XLT 4x4 Build