Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

How to: Highbeam fog lights on at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How to: Highbeam fog lights on at the same time

I just found this info and wanted to post it. Some members have ask if the other thread that shows how to do this on the 04 and up would work on the older body. No it won't but it can be done just a little more work that's all.

This is how it was done on a 1997 F150.
http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html
Old 02-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks, I was looking for that yesterday, but I could not find the one with pictures, just the one off of f150 online.

thanks

after reading that, it looks like all that you need to do to get the fog lights to stay on with the high beams is to jump thos two wires?

Last edited by Ty; 02-25-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty
after reading that, it looks like all that you need to do to get the fog lights to stay on with the high beams is to jump thos two wires?
yeah, that's the way I understood it. The physical mod of the ramp just allows you to turn the foglights on in the autolamp and running light positions.

Driving the roads I do around deer season, I need all the light I can get far ahead and on the sides of the road. My Hellas reach out there and the brights come in just behind them.

I'd really like get the low beam filament to stay on with the high and the fogs. You can do this by pulling the flasher lever in while the lights are switched on but driving while holding the lever is not really an option.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Ty

you will burn out the bulbs faster by doing that.

and if you need more light, look into my setup, lol its a world of difference with my light bar on then without it, I also like it more because it is not trying to shine through the other lights if that makes any sence, they are able to light up everything that the headlights dont cover.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Ty

anyone do this? Im thinking of trying it this weekend.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 AM

I completed the mod last night on my 2001 and it went very smooth. I now can turn my fog lights on with my running lights and they will also stay on when I switch to the high beams. I opted to no cut the notch out for the auto lights because I have never used that feature.

The explaination from the 97 Ford was a little different when it came to taking th switch apart. The guy who did it with his 2000 HD made more sense. However, where he widdled away slowly because he didn't want to break the plastic pieces (look like small pins with the tops melted), I opted to take the front cover off (breaking the plastic pins).

Getting to the ramp was very easy and cutting it (used small, sharp wire cutters and a hobby knife) took a couple minutes. I did not cut a new ramp but rather just cut straight down and made the opening square. It still shuts off just fine.

I put the face back on with some 60 second epoxy (came in a 2 tube serenge I got at Autozone). I put a few dabs on each spot where the original plastic pins were and it work perfectly.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this bring up a couple of questions. on the 04 f150 and up i was assuming there was a fog light switch or is it tied into the regular light swtich. My truck did not come from factory with fog lights but after the wreck I will have them. I was planning on just geting a factory looking swtch to put in dash. This way I thought id be able to turn them on when i wanted to.
Thinking of having ford just wire them so I dont bother warranty but then id rather just do it myself.

any feedback appreciated.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default $250

In Wyoming it is a $250.00 fine.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM

if you do wire your own lights to a switch then you should use a relay. It allows you to have the aux lights on their own fuse and also allows you to wire them to your current light switch (parking, low beams, or high beams) so they will only come on and turn off when one of those lights is powered up by your stock switch.

Of course, you can wire them straight to the battery but then you stand the risk of leaving them on after you turn the truck off.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if i wire them direct to battery but use a fuse for just in case purposes, well do they make a switch that will turn itself off after say vehicle has been turned off. or somehow on a lighting switch wear your lights stay on till you turn your vehicle off but then go off 1 minute after or so... anyone got any ideas.?

Quick Reply: How to: Highbeam fog lights on at the same time