Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

Change the tensioner pulley in '93 F150 302

Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the tensioner pulley in '93 F150 302

So today I changed out the tensioner pulley on my 1993 F-150. She has a 302, no AC. I had my 15-year-old son out with me to help and to teach him. Figured I could share what we did here.

1) Remove the negative terminal of the battery.
2) Remove the water hose that leads from the radiator on the left, over the fan shroud, to the motor. You might lose some water/coolant here.
3) Remove the air intake that starts over the radiator on the right and ends on insertion into the air cleaner. A standard screwdriver inserted into the plastic on the right side near the air cleaner will pop it out.
4) Remove the fan shroud. Two easy bolts, watch you don't lose the clips that hinge the shroud on to the radiator's edge.
5) Now we can see and get to the pulleys clearly. The tensioner pulley itself is attached to the arm of the tensioner, right below the alternator. Get the appropriate-sized socket for the pulley bolt onto a breaker bar. Rotate counter-clockwise. This will NOT remove the pulley, but will relieve tension from the belt. While holding the ratchet over to the left. Remove the belt enough to get at the pulley. Then lower the tensioner arm back down to rest position.
6) Using the same ratchet and socket, turn the pulley bolt clockwise. It is a left-hand thread. Remove the bolt and pulley.
7) Replace the new pulley using the old bolt. Rotate counter-clockwise to tighten (it is a left-hand thread).
8) Use the breaker bar to hold the tensioner arm to the left again. Replace the belt and release the tensioner arm. Check that the belt has good tension and is secured through all the proper pulleys and on the right path.
9) Replace the fan shroud. The little clips go diagonally.
10) Replace the air intake. It'll pop back into place.
11) Replace the radiator hose. Make sure zips are secure and hose is flush.
12) Reconnect the negative battery terminal.
13) Check the levels of your water/coolant in the radiator since you may have lost some when removing the radiator hose.
14) Fire up the motor and check things out.
Done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change the tensioner pulley in '93 F150 302