Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Would you buy a 2011 5.0L with 112K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you buy a 2011 5.0L with 112K miles?

Hi guys. I currently have a 2012 Tacoma lease that's almost up and I'm definitely upsizing & upgrading to a 2011-2012 F-150 in either the FX2 or Lariat styles but I'm still trying to decide on the EB engine or 5.0L V8. I know that seems to be a subject that maybe is just personal feeling so I welcome your opinion on that (but I expect there will be pros and cons from both sides). But what I'm really curious about is your opinion on nowadays would you consider buying a 2011 or 2012 f-150 with either motor (if it appears to be well maintained and serviced) with 112K miles on it? Obviously that's a lot of miles for a relatively new truck. But if they are "highway" miles does the truck and motor/trans, etc still have plenty of life left in them and worth buying for the right price? Or am I buying into a bunch of repair bills??? I have a budget I have to mind so I was trying to get a nicer level truck with some miles on it so I can keep in my price range. But is 100K plus miles too much in your opinion?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Just check the vehicles history to make sure there's no accidents, or service reports. Idk what your price range is but you could finally find one with lower mileage. A lot of people get nervous with mileage, yes 112K is a lot, but it's all a matter of maintence and care the previous owner had. Send us a Link to the truck.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

my daughters father-n-law has 2010 Lariat with 5.4 and 259k miles before the first problem which was his a/c. he does not keep up with scheduled oil changes very often. most of his mileage is highway so that does make a difference. i know it is a different engine but usually hiway miles are easy miles.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TMurphy11
Just check the vehicles history to make sure there's no accidents, or service reports. Idk what your price range is but you could finally find one with lower mileage. A lot of people get nervous with mileage, yes 112K is a lot, but it's all a matter of maintence and care the previous owner had. Send us a Link to the truck.

not sure if this link will work or not http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...9019/overview/

but by the pics, write up and follow up emails and pics I've received it all seems to check out and looks nice by all accounts. I think price is a little high right now but I also think there's room for negotiation. I don't want to mess with that though until I decide if it's worth it. It's one owner vehicle and highway miles. I meant to note in the first post that I was in FL (as is this vehicle). So, no mountains, snow, etc to beat on the vehicle.

My general thought (without anything to back it up) would be that the 5.0L V8 would be a "safer" motor to run for longer since it doesn't have the turbos and intercooler that the EB engine does. But then I watched that whole Ford endurance propaganda video and maybe the EB engines really can run a long time. That's why I was curious if any members here have the 5.0L or 3.5 EB engines with higher miles on them (100K plus) and can say from real world experience if it's worth buying what looks like a clean well maintained truck
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by white08gt
my daughters father-n-law has 2010 Lariat with 5.4 and 259k miles before the first problem which was his a/c. he does not keep up with scheduled oil changes very often. most of his mileage is highway so that does make a difference. i know it is a different engine but usually hiway miles are easy miles.

And that's what I was wondering. On a "newer" truck (2011/2012) today but with higher miles (100K plus), do you expect that stuff like alternators, AC compressors, turbos, shocks, u-joints, etc start to break just because of mileage or is really more of a physical years on the road thing (as long as you obviously change the oil religiously and otherwise take care of the vehicle). I know the 250 and 350 diesels can run for 300K plus miles but can the 150's do 200K with not much expected problems today...
Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

The truck Definitely looks clean from the pics, but like you said. Price is a little stiff. Heck people are getting brand new XLTs for 30 grand.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

tires look fairly new, can't tell the brand. from the looks of it looks clean, if the seats show little wear and good tires being a Lariat probably been maintained. you can get an Oasis report from Ford for any warranty work. I am sure there is some wiggle room, look up price on Edmunds.com. with high mileage i would stick with the 5.0
Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Heck, around here that's the asking price for 08-09's with similar or higher miles...

But since you asked if the miles are too high for me, yes they are. If I were going to buy used I would feel more comfortable spending $30k on one with 30-40k miles on it. In a 2 to 3 years you will have 150+k miles on it.

Last edited by laketrout; 11-14-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by TMurphy11
The truck Definitely looks clean from the pics, but like you said. Price is a little stiff. Heck people are getting brand new XLTs for 30 grand.
I was thinking I could get him down to maybe $21,000 or so and then it would be maybe worth the trade off for higher miles. It does look clean and it has the off road package but also has the navi as you can see, remote start, all weather mats, and some other Bells and whistles I think.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by white08gt
tires look fairly new, can't tell the brand. from the looks of it looks clean, if the seats show little wear and good tires being a Lariat probably been maintained. you can get an Oasis report from Ford for any warranty work. I am sure there is some wiggle room, look up price on Edmunds.com. with high mileage i would stick with the 5.0
I may go see it this weekend along with another 5.0 that's at a nearby dealer. He said the tires are pretty new and are bfg brand. Kbb online says the truck is valued between 21,300 to 22,500 with those miles and specs. For private party sale in "very good" to "good" condition. I guess rhe miles are a gamble. I was going to ask for maintenance records and also offer to pay for a ford dealer inspection before I purchased if we agreed on price.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2011 5.0L with 112K miles?