Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Will I fail emissions with offroad downpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Will I fail emissions with offroad downpipes?

Does anyone know if offroad downpipes will make me fail emissions? I am looking to get a stainless works cat bsck and the downpipes. I think the offroads sound the best but I live in a hippie state that tests for emissions
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by eco-charged
Does anyone know if offroad downpipes will make me fail emissions? I am looking to get a stainless works cat bsck and the downpipes. I think the offroads sound the best but I live in a hippie state that tests for emissions
Offroad usually means catless. You will absolutely fail visual and pop a CEL with no cats.

You can get Catted DP's that are 49 state legal.
But that doesn't automatically mean you'll pass.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Insolent Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

The answer is you will fail emissions if you live in California. You will fail the visual test, dyno test, and electronic computer test.

And tampering with federal emissions equipment (cats) can get you in big trouble no matter which state you live in

Last edited by lariut; 09-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by lariut

The answer is you will fail emissions if you live in California. You will fail the visual test, dyno test, and electronic computer test.

And tampering with federal emissions equipment (cats) can get you in big trouble no matter which state you live in
I live in CO. I've gotten tests done before on vehicles and I don't think there was any visual inspection. I just got on a dyno and they took readings. That's too bad because these downpipes seem pretty cool. If they were easily interchangeable I would just remove them once a year but that's not the case
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Insolent Member

I live in CO. I've gotten tests done before on vehicles and I don't think there was any visual inspection. I just got on a dyno and they took readings. That's too bad because these downpipes seem pretty cool. If they were easily interchangeable I would just remove them once a year but that's not the case
It's not too bad to swap them if you know how to turn a wrench. Couple hours start to finish taking your time. Or just get the catted version if you don't want to deal with the hassle.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by lariut

It's not too bad to swap them if you know how to turn a wrench. Couple hours start to finish taking your time. Or just get the catted version if you don't want to deal with the hassle.
Isn't the catted version what I already have on the truck?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Isn't the catted version what I already have on the truck?
Yes. But they are options out there that flow better and don't have the restrictions that the factory pipes have.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

If you just have OBD-2 testing you can get a tune and turn off the rear o2 sensors, which will then enable you to pass.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Insolent Member

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
If you just have OBD-2 testing you can get a tune and turn off the rear o2 sensors, which will then enable you to pass.
Not necessarily. They can turn the check engine light off / prevent the code from turning the light on with a tuner but the emissions system check will still show incomplete on the scanner beyond the basic check for codes most people do. Some smog techs don't care some will fail you for it.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM

It sounds like my best option would be to talk to our emissions office here in Denver and see what they say.

Quick Reply: Will I fail emissions with offroad downpipes?