Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Why is there black soot build up on Ecoboost tail pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Why is there black soot build up on Ecoboost tail pipe?

I have noticed that almost every 3.5L
Ecoboost engine creates soot in the exhaust tail pipe. I was wondering why because my other trucks never did that, even after 90,000 miles. I know it has to be normal because all the 3.5L ecoboost engines do that. But I can't imagine that is a good thing. What does the combustion chamber look like.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same thing!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Search is your friend.

THere are many, many threads on this topic.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your kanuter valve may be partially blocked.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gone postal
Search is your friend.

THere are many, many threads on this topic.
I know, but none of them explain why it happens on the Ecoboost engine more than other engines
Im looking for some answers more common with the 3.5L ecoboost.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

From "The Best Octane for the Ecoboost Thread" by DieselDawg

Originally Posted by EBinMT

2) Premium fuels usually have more detergents as well. most applications this will have no real benefit as regular grade usaully has more than enough detergent, but if you have seen the black soot in the EB tailpipe this may be a good investment.

personally I prefer a mid grade from my local Exxon. I used to deliver Exxon fuels and know that station has only a Regular and Premium tank. Their Mid grade is the same price as the regular and is a 50/50 blend of premium and regular. so I am getting a little better octane and more detergent for the same price.

Actually there are "Top Tier" fuel providers that supply fuel with higher than minimum EPA standards fo detergents in fuels...those Top Tiers suppliers put the same detergent formulation in every grade (for the most part).

As for the "black soot", I think it is more from the fact that the Ecoboost does not have an EGR (mechanical) and uses the engines own characteristics :

This EcoBoost truck engine also features twin independent variable camshaft timing, or Ti-VCT, to help save fuel. Ti-VCT provides extremely precise variable – yet independent – control of timing for intake and exhaust valves. Ti-VCT also reduces emissions, especially in situations when the throttle is partially open.
***http://media.ford.com/article_displa...le_id=33260***

This means it will run a bit rich to reduce NOx for emissions
Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedFx
I have noticed that almost every 3.5L
Ecoboost engine creates soot in the exhaust tail pipe. I was wondering why because my other trucks never did that, even after 90,000 miles. I know it has to be normal because all the 3.5L ecoboost engines do that. But I can't imagine that is a good thing. What does the combustion chamber look like.

My 5.0L does the same thing.............but less with 93 octane
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Soot is a byproduct of direct injection. On my 2010 Speed3, the soot permanently stained the chrome tipped exhaust pipes black in just 15,000 miles. Which is amazing because I ran that car through that wash at least once a week. Many people on the MazdaSpeedForums were literally painting their pipes black to make
them look more palatable.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 PM

So this is nothing to be concerned about in the longrun. Basically it wont affect the performance or longevity of the engine? For me $43,000 is a big investment, I don't have $$$ growing on my tree out back. This truck has to last me years like my Nissan Titan. So far Im 110% satisfied with my Ecoboost.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedFx
So this is nothing to be concerned about in the longrun. Basically it wont affect the performance or longevity of the engine? For me $43,000 is a big investment, I don't have $$$ growing on my tree out back. This truck has to last me years like my Nissan Titan. So far Im 110% satisfied with my Ecoboost.
You should be fine my last four ford trucks had over 250K......I think that says all that needs to be said.

Quick Reply: Why is there black soot build up on Ecoboost tail pipe?