Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Whats the fuss over the ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the fuss over the ecoboost?

So this is my first post here, and ill be honest ive never been a fan of ford trucks. I think the 5.4 is what really turned me off of them, and ive always been a Ram guy. But, i was quite impressed by the new v8's ford is putting out. But i cant wrap my head around the new ecoboost.

Dont get me wrong, im sure it performs great along side other larger engines. But the numbers dont add up for me. A twin turbo 3.5 v6 putting out 365bhp and 420 tq just doesnt make sense. N/a v6's today can easily put out 300hp and im sure with some reworking (like done on the ecoboost compared to the other applications its in) some good torque could be produced. So to me adding 12 psi of boost via tt should produce better numbers on a 3.5.

For comparison, and i know this is different, an 18 year old toyota supra twin turbo puts out 326hp and 305 tq via less boost and a 3.0 displacement. It seems to me that stroking the 3.0 and reworking the motor could easily attain the hp figures and come close to the tq figures. Remember the 18 year difference.

It seems to me that with todays standards and tech, this new "premium" motor should put out some better numbers. I totally agree with fords direction
on this new engine, but i think its lackluster.

Am i missing something or what? Any thoughts are apreciated.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If 365HP/420Torque out of a factory 3.5 TT engine is not impressive enough... I dont know what you are looking for than. Factory N/A V6 can make 300 hp... but the torque will be quit low.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 AM

I see what you are saying but what you must realize is that there are a LOT of differences between those two engines.

There are a lot of things being left out in terms of engine specs. You have to think that there are many little differences that allow for more power such as different compression ratios, octane ratings, not to mention fuel economy etc. with a forced induction engine.

Having some experience with engine tuning, I have found that an engine is most efficient when it is making its most power (obvious statement), but that does not mean it is being fuel efficient in regards to mileage. You have to think that ford is trying to make a truck that is great for daily driving, while being able to cut loose everyone once and a while when needed. This engine also needs to be reliable with towing and long loads which is not indicative of the performance a TT supra puts out.

Long story short, I agree you could jack the boost up and maybe increase the fuel rating etc, which I am sure henessey is going to do, but that doesnt make for a good reliable towing/daily driver motor that ford has to warranty.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the biggest reason is engine compression. The EB makes all its power on regular gas. Which would call for a more conservative tune than, say, a premium fuel Supra?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

it's not all about HP/TQ, they have to look at things like overall fuel economy, driveability and durability as well. Sure they could probly bump it up to make 450hp and 500lb/ft but it would most likely get very poor fuel economy and drivetrains may not stay together very well. Seems like a pretty good balance if you ask me - 365HP and 420lb/ft was unheard of in any V8 configuration just 5-6 years ago, now we have a V6 thats at this power level and achieving good fuel economy - seems to me thats quite the advance in technology.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Im shocked to hear it runs on 87 octane. Ive never even heard of a turbocharged performance engine running on regular. I wonder about the reasoning
Behind that is? That is one limitation forsure.

But i think you guys misunderstood what i was trying to say. Im not talking about increasing boost, its already at 12psi on a stock engine!
What im trying to say is that a v6 with 12psi of boost should have
More than 365 hp. The torque is fairly respectable, but i really think it could be better.
My complaint is with the motor itself. Think about
How little power it puts out without the turbos!
Putting a turbo system on say the mustang v6 and running a standard 6-7 psi would probably result in gains around the 100bhp/100tq level. Now imagine doubling the boost to
The 12 psi on the ecoboost. It would have way
More power than the ecoboost and with
Some tuning would kick some serious ***. And for fuel economy, adding turbos to almost any vehicle nets better mpgs. Now i realize doing that to the mustang
V6 probably isint practical, but i was just using it for an example.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure once they make a programmer for it, if they havent already. It will respond like the turbo diesel trucks do when you turn up the boost. I am sure they will make some aftermarket parts that will make that Ecoboost scream into numbers that will be ridiculous later on. If your looking for race power get a Lightning. If you want gas mileage and torque to tow Ecoboost is the way to go. It all depends on what your trying to achieve with these trucks.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Im sure once they make a programmer for it, if they havent already. It will respond like the turbo diesel trucks do when you turn up the boost. I am sure they will make some aftermarket parts that will make that Ecoboost scream into numbers that will be ridiculous later on. If your looking for race power get a Lightning. If you want gas mileage and torque to tow Ecoboost is the way to go. It all depends on what your trying to achieve with these trucks.
Remeber this is a gas engine with 12psi of boost already. A programmer wont increase the boost much, it would be too hard on the drivetrain to run much higher boost. The reason why diesels get such a
Bump in power is because they handle boost wayyyyy better.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do some searching on the Taurus SHO with ecoboost... tuners are chipping, changing intake/exhaust and going to 91 octane and running reliable, low 13s... the engine is way underrated from the factory with gobs of power hidden behind CARB regulations and down tuning.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is also the first year of the engine in the f150

Last edited by fordjamie; 03-14-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the fuss over the ecoboost?