Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What upgrades?

2011 F150 4X4 supercab ecoboost. It's currently bone stock and the only issues it's had was it had a coil pack replaced two different times due to the shutter, limp mode issue. My driving habits are very normal everyday driver and light off-road use. I don't race, but like power for towing and passing.
I'm going to put new spark plugs in, New tires (33's), leveling kit and a Livewire tuner for sure.
I have searched and researched for over a year and still can't convince myself what other upgrades to choose. I want the best bang for the buck possible without spending money for minimal gains.
Here is an additional list of upgrades I'm considering; please tell me if I will gain much improvement over stock.
* Wagoner (sp) intercooler in hopes of never have the shutter issue again.
* CAI
* Exhaust - much improvement over stock?
* Down pipes - can I get down pipes w/o exhaust and be fine?

Please let me know if there is something better. I can't afford all these additional items. I'm considering two or maybe three of them. I don't race; just like to get sucked into the seat when I accelerate. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:48 AM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

CAI and Catbacks add noise but not performance.
The following users liked this post:
safetypin (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
CAI and Catbacks add noise but not performance.
According to the full-race web site a cat back only has some pretty nice gains when coupled with a tune and a cat back is probably much easier to install than a downpipe.

Last edited by cecoboost; 12-19-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:32 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cecoboost
According to the full-race web site a cat back only has some pretty nice gains when coupled with a tune and a cat back is probably much easier to install than a downpipe.
coupled with a tune?

my floor mats provide nice gains when coupled with a tune.

anything with a tune and stock catback vs their catback w a tune?

of course their site will list nice gains, they're trying to sell something.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have this intake and believe it does increase power and definitely increases sound.

They sell tunes for ecoboosts , not sure about ecoboost intake options or if they make a big diff on ecoboost.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremble
Here is an additional list of upgrades I'm considering; please tell me if I will gain much improvement over stock.
* Wagoner (sp) intercooler in hopes of never have the shutter issue again.
* CAI
* Exhaust - much improvement over stock?
* Down pipes - can I get down pipes w/o exhaust and be fine?
For 3.5L Ecoboost....

By far the tune itself is the biggest gain and will transform the truck. Down pipes are the next worthwhile mod, followed by a 170F thermostat because it is so damn cheap, and then the intercooler. You will need a custom tune done in the heat of summer to take advantage of the thermostat. The intercooler is starting to get into diminishing returns. It helps some, but it is expensive.

Cat-back exhaust is near worthless. Talking about 5 Hp or less with a tune. Intake is worthless with 0-1 Hp gain. Just use a good dry element filter in the stock air box instead.

Places like Leading Edge Tuning can handle the custom tunes with the help of data logs you send them. Just buy the Livewire from them and you'll get a deal on one of their tunes that will be added to the Livewire device. Everything will run sooooooo much smoother and refined than the tunes from SCT.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 12-22-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a chance that replacing the intercooler will eliminate the shutter issues? I want the intercooler to remain in the stock location, so what manufacturer do you recommend?
Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No Money - Drill a small hole in the bottom of the stock intercooler to stop the fluid build up.

Lots of Money - Or try an oil "catch can" and see if it is sufficient. You may end up drilling the hole anyway.

As for intercoolers in stock location, Wagner makes the power. I think the aFe brand has a drain hole in the bottom (1/8" NPT thread) that you can install a breather vent, which seems to be a feature you are interested in.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by safetypin
coupled with a tune?

my floor mats provide nice gains when coupled with a tune.

anything with a tune and stock catback vs their catback w a tune?

of course their site will list nice gains, they're trying to sell something.
Yes it is with an SCT 91 octane canned tune. I have to admit this dyno for a catback is a little suspect. I've never seen a catback that offers gains like this. http://www.full-race.com/store/ecobo...package-2.html I looked at this thing 100 times trying figure out what I'm missing but with a stock downpipe I can't see how this is possible

Quick Reply: What upgrades?