Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What parameters are oil life % based on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Snow Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Default What parameters are oil life % based on?

Is it just KM based milestones? I changed at 26% since my 5 km winter commute might be considered extreme given I'm in Canada.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

From Ford's literature: IOLM uses an algorithm to calculate your oil change intervals based on actual engine operating conditions.

"Intelligent" implies that it isn't just a mileage calculation, and that's the case. You can safely go until it tells you that you need a change.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Snow Engineer

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
From Ford's literature: IOLM uses an algorithm to calculate your oil change intervals based on actual engine operating conditions.

"Intelligent" implies that it isn't just a mileage calculation, and that's the case. You can safely go until it tells you that you need a change.
I wonder what parameters the 'algorithms' are considering? RPMs? Engine temps? mileage? Time?

I'm going 10,000+ Kms since I changed it last Oct, including a winter of 5x5km/week in 15-30 below. and it's still 26%?

I'm not 100% that the dealer actually put in synthetic when I bought it used last year so I am gonna err towards caution.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Many on the forum seem to change it early, some very early. Lots of "it's so cheap to do, I don't want to take the risk." I see it (not that anyone else has to see it that way) as pretty clear - Ford designed the vehicle to tell you when the oil needs to be changed. They did this for a reason, they could have just counted off miles and/or time, but they didn't. I wont' change mine until it says so, that's what I also do on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

Also - the system doesn't care what oil you used to do the calculation, it looks at your usage, how you drive. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle7012349/

If you have a receipt from what the dealer did you can check the part number to see what oil they used.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 09-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Snow Engineer

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Also - the system doesn't care what oil you used to do the calculation, it senses what's in the engine as far as how dirty it is.
I'd be very impressed if such an on-the-fly oil analyzer is in my truck. Do you have a source for this information?

I, too, don't change oil that often anymore. I used to but not anymore. 10k is a pretty good number for oil life and the manual does say to change it more often in extreme conditions and a chronic not fully warming of the engine enough in the winter qualifies as that. So basically, been almost a year since my change. My GF has same driving conditions as I do plus less KMs, and her CRV indicated her oil life of her 0-20 synthetic was at 0% 4 months ago.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Snow Engineer

Ok, doing my homework (sorry, I just thought this would be offhand knowledge around here) I dig up that you can't really find what the parameters being used in the algorithms (probably not available from Ford) are and there is a lot of conjecture/opinions.

But basically, IOLM does not look at your actual oil at all. It is software based and that's pretty much a bean-counter indicator.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by GetYaFordOn
I'd be very impressed if such an on-the-fly oil analyzer is in my truck. Do you have a source for this information?

I, too, don't change oil that often anymore. I used to but not anymore. 10k is a pretty good number for oil life and the manual does say to change it more often in extreme conditions and a chronic not fully warming of the engine enough in the winter qualifies as that. So basically, been almost a year since my change. My GF has same driving conditions as I do plus less KMs, and her CRV indicated her oil life of her 0-20 synthetic was at 0% 4 months ago.
Sorry if I conveyed something with improper wording, I corrected it. IOLM looks at usage - and adjusts as you drive - not the oil. So what type of oil you use is irrelevant to the calculation.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not just assume everything is all hunky dory just because the oil life "monitor" is happy.

I am a fan of the "trust but verify" mentality. I have a Blackstone report from some yellow bottle Pennzoil I used from 7,046 to 10,316 miles on the odo (3,270 on oil) where the TBN remaining was a "2.0". According to Blackstone, virgin YB Pennzoil 5w-20 has a TBN of "8.8" and "1.0" is the safety threshold... so that means if it is used up at a relitively linear rate, that oil would used up by the time it had 4,000mi on it, and "0.0" by 4,500mi.

Originally Posted by GetYaFordOn

Are you a 5.0L? Her CRV also does not have an 8qt sump and that is where some of the longer run time is coming from... I believe they also assume you will be using an oil at least equivalent to the factory fill. (which is a very good oil) As I indicated showed above, a sub-par oil will still need more frequent changes... being that similar if not the same oil is what many quick change places use by default, I really hope this extended drain "just do what it says" does not come to bite Ford or its owners in the butt.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

If you want reminders at 6,000 or 8,000, you can always reset the OL to 60%, 80%, etc yourself. I was always good with 10K until reading all the fuel dilution, combustion by-products, etc, so now I prefer 6K oil changes and just set the reminder for that.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

The EB has a Torque Management system. I would change the oil early than later.

Quick Reply: What parameters are oil life % based on?