Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What modifications void my Manufacturers warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What modifications void my Manufacturers warranty??

I bought my ohhh so awesome ecoboost 2 weeks ago and love it! I'm just wondering if there is any mods that I can do to it other than cosmetic ones without voiding the 5yr/100k warranty on it.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
My service manager and I had a 30 minute conversation about this topic. He states that some dealers get money to cover items than shouldn't be covered under warranty (forgot the exact name) and southern dealers actually warranty much more than northern states due to sales volume he said. He told me at his dealership (mine) they will void warranties on the powertrain for something as simple as a k&n intake...... I just hope they dont make me get a lawyer for this in the future, as he warned me a catch can will void my warranty because I permanately altered the factory pieces (drilling the tubes for rx can). In the next breath he said a level kit won't void my warranty, I sure hope that's true because my rack is bad.

Ask you service manager up front.
The following users liked this post:
04black150 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Half_ton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
My service manager and I had a 30 minute conversation about this topic. He states that some dealers get money to cover items than shouldn't be covered under warranty (forgot the exact name) and southern dealers actually warranty much more than northern states due to sales volume he said. He told me at his dealership (mine) they will void warranties on the powertrain for something as simple as a k&n intake...... I just hope they dont make me get a lawyer for this in the future, as he warned me a catch can will void my warranty because I permanately altered the factory pieces (drilling the tubes for rx can). In the next breath he said a level kit won't void my warranty, I sure hope that's true because my rack is bad.

Ask you service manager up front.
Thanks, Yeah I had heard about something as small as a k&n voiding it. This is my first "brand NEW" vehicle, so I don't want to do any mods to it that will mess it up in any way shape or form. If anything, I would like to put a level on it (if that won't put extra wear on any of the steering components)...Maybe a tuner as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Typically the modification voids the warranty of the component. Example, level will void ball joints or cv shafts. Tuner will void engine or tranny, etc
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM

So it sounds like whatever mods you do you're putting yourself at risk for not having your truck covered. You pretty much have to ask yourself "is it worth it"?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

You have to live with the notion "you have to pay to play"

Quick Reply: What modifications void my Manufacturers warranty??