Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What Ford is now saying my fuel in oil issue is

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What Ford is now saying my fuel in oil issue is

2014 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 12,000 miles

I have had a very persistent fuel in oil issue as those of you that frequent this forum know. The dealer has performed TSB 15-0003, checked for leaking HPFP, checked for leaking injectors, and replaced HPFP. The only thing the dealer says that is left to try is to replace all the injectors, which is planned. My service manager agrees that there is an issue that needs to be corrected, although Ford does not. I have never had a check engine light.

My oil level rises to at least 3/8 inch over full within a few hundred miles of change. The level will then usually remain fairly constant except now it is nearly a full inch above full. The rise from 3/8 above to 7/8 above took place in just two 35 mile drives. If I drive 150 to 200 miles straight the level will drop to full or very close to full. Each oil change has had an analysis and has shown from 4% to 6% fuel dilution. I have had seven oil changes in the year I have owned it.

The Ford "hotline" that the dealer receives guidance from is now saying that my issues are caused by using poor gas. I always use "top tier" 87 octane fuel, which is the recommended octane although the manual does say premium will improve performance. I don't just buy fuel anywhere, although I am told that all the fuel around here comes from the same refinery. I suppose I could try 89 or 93 octane, but I just don't think that is causing my issue.

Has anyone switched to higher octane and had an improved fuel in oil issue or or noticeable performance improvement? What are the opinions out there on the possibility of a buy back or lemon law case if replacing the injectors fails to solve the issue? I feel it is very likely I will have premature engine failure do to the compromised oil quality that i have experienced.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

You need a new dealership.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
You need a new dealership.
I have consulted with other dealerships and do plan on switching but I am going to have the dealer I am working with do this one last ditch effort. The dealer that i consulted with tells me I would likely bear the cost of at least some of the diagnostic work if they were to start from scratch. So far, I have not paid for anything except the inconvenience and several more oil changes than planned.

Just to clarify, it is not my dealer saying that the fuel I use is the problem.

Last edited by Big Al XLT; 01-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

If you want to play by their rules on your next tank of fuel run 90+ octane and change your oil. Then do a blackstone oil analysis after a few tanks of fuel.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get a catch can. Raw fuel is blowing by under boost into your crankcase and then, along with water and hydrocarbons, getting dumped back into the intake manifold via the pcv system.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM

I most certainly agree that this would help to improve the fuel in oil situation. But I am reluctant to spend several hundred dollars on a CC system to help fix a Ford design flaw AND my service manger can't/won't give me an answer on how it would affect warranty.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al XLT
to help fix a Ford design flaw

you will always do this when you have a new vehicle

Originally Posted by Big Al XLT
AND my service manger can't/won't give me an answer on how it would affect warranty.
it won't unless you directly cause another failure. look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Are you're oxygen sensors operating correctly. The oxygen sensors are directly responsible for adjusting fuel trims. This is where I would be looking first...

A catch can will not help, despite what others say.

If you have fuel in the oil to your degree, there should be no way it goes back down after a long drive. The fuel will always be coming in while some will get flashed off...if there was a problem.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Are you're oxygen sensors operating correctly. The oxygen sensors are directly responsible for adjusting fuel trims. This is where I would be looking first...

A catch can will not help, despite what others say.

If you have fuel in the oil to your degree, there should be no way it goes back down after a long drive. The fuel will always be coming in while some will get flashed off...if there was a problem.

That is the first time I have had anyone mention the oxygen sensors, I will definitely look into that one. It seems to be running ok, but I really think it should have more "get up" from what I read. It does seem to load up if I don't get on it so you may be on the right track there. The normal "reduction" in oil level has been from 3/8 inch above the full mark to right on the full mark. I have had other folks tell me that it won't come down, but it has and it has done it several times. At present it is very close to an inch above the mark and I would not expect that it would come down from there.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When you do black stone test what was mileage on oil when you took sample? What is daily commute if any? Is issue more prominent in winter or all year long? I only did 1 test at 2900 miles and it came back at 2% fuel.

I have similar but Mine pops up in winter due to my short commute (4 miles 4x a day m-f). In summer the oil level is very constant. I treat it as severe service and change my oil every 3 months regardless of miles. 26$ is materials + my time to change is cheap insurance and hopes I don't have to deal with timing chain stretch. Going on 4 years and 31000 miles.

Quick Reply: What Ford is now saying my fuel in oil issue is