Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What feels like EB misfire but isn't?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Default What feels like EB misfire but isn't?

Since new my 2011 Ecoboost has pulsed/bucked when under load towing up hill even if only a slight grade. I replaced my plugs for the 2nd time when my 17000 mile plugs started missing on cylinder 4 according to Torque Pro. I am on a new trip and still get the missing feel, but after 2 days on the road, no misses are recorded on any cylinder and it pulls on ramps like a beast. It is only while trying to maintain speed uphill that it does it. New plugs are gapped at. 028 vs. 031 for the last set.
Any ideas about what the problem might be?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

6th gear only? If so, there is a TSB and updated programming to make it go away.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Does it also make an audible "clunk, clunk" noise? If so, my old Eco did the same thing and nothing fixed it.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

The odd tune will cause a weird pulsation like that. Kinda like the torque converter doesn't know what to do. But I do remember seeing a TSB for a transmission module that fixed this problem
Old 10-11-2014, 11:36 PM

It does it in fourth and fifth as well. Punch it and it takes off with strong power, but just trying to maintain speed uphill, it pulses and bucks. It has done it with multiple tunes as I just confirmed with a 5-Star tune.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

SkiSmuggs my 2011 eco did this as well. Around 55 to 60mph going up a long hill and just enough gas to maintain speed.
Mine wouldn't buck per say but you could feel a miss. Once hooked up to my trailer it was a different story. Hooked up, it was jarring both up and down hills at 55.

Checked my plug gaps and they were all over the place. Regapped, still bucked. Went in for the tsb and the problem went away and hasn't returned.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
It does it in fourth and fifth as well. Punch it and it takes off with strong power, but just trying to maintain speed uphill, it pulses and bucks. It has done it with multiple tunes as I just confirmed with a 5-Star tune.
What grade fuel do you run Ski? Mine does the same but it's minimized greatly with running 91 octane ethanol free. Can just barely feel it and it's very infrequent
Not sure what could be going on there but it is a huge difference from running 87 with 10% ethanol.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
What grade fuel do you run Ski? Mine does the same but it's minimized greatly with running 91 octane ethanol free. Can just barely feel it and it's very infrequent
Not sure what could be going on there but it is a huge difference from running 87 with 10% ethanol.
I haven't run 87 since January when I made a permanent switch to 91/93, usually Mobile. But a 9500 lb trailer will accentuate even minor problems.
The following users liked this post:
MadocHandyman (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

I know that there is a TSB to fix this issue, that said does anyone have the TSB #? I would like to have it as back up when I take my truck into the dealership. They aren't exactly on top of things regarding TSB updates and I know they won't be able to recreate it cause it only happens to me while driving on the interstate and going up a hill. Having proof will be a 100% back up to my claim.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Since new my 2011 Ecoboost has pulsed/bucked when under load towing up hill even if only a slight grade. I replaced my plugs for the 2nd time when my 17000 mile plugs started missing on cylinder 4 according to Torque Pro. I am on a new trip and still get the missing feel, but after 2 days on the road, no misses are recorded on any cylinder and it pulls on ramps like a beast. It is only while trying to maintain speed uphill that it does it. New plugs are gapped at. 028 vs. 031 for the last set.
Any ideas about what the problem might be?
I haven't run 87 since January when I made a permanent switch to 91/93, usually Mobile. But a 9500 lb trailer will accentuate even minor problems.
I'll look into this further, SkiSmuggs, although getting in contact with your local dealership is your first step toward reaching the best resolution. What's your current odometer reading?

Originally Posted by BoostedFx
I know that there is a TSB to fix this issue, that said does anyone have the TSB #? I would like to have it as back up when I take my truck into the dealership. They aren't exactly on top of things regarding TSB updates and I know they won't be able to recreate it cause it only happens to me while driving on the interstate and going up a hill. Having proof will be a 100% back up to my claim.
Are you experiencing a similar issue? I understand your concern regarding the recreation of the symptom, although I do suggest taking a technician on a drive regardless. Please send along some details about your concern, including your model year and current mileage; I'll check my resources and see how to best assist.

Brittany

Quick Reply: What feels like EB misfire but isn't?