Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Weird Noise when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weird Noise when Accelerating

Quick question for y'all:

I have a 2011 F150 5.0L 4X4 SCrew with 3.73 gears, K&N CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, 2" AS Level, and 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (that's all the mods ;-)) and I get this weird noise when giving a decent push on my throttle:

What I've done to try and remedy or diagnose so far:

-Cleaned the MAF (it looked clean when I pulled it (truck only has 16600 miles)
-I have 5Star tunes, and Mike has been working with me to remedy this issue (he's the man). At first I thought it may be the tunes, but Mike gave me a stock tune with just the tire adjustment to see and I still get this noise when accelerating.

I installed the K&N about 1.5 years ago, and I don't recall hearing the noise right after I installed it, but maybe it has been there all along and I was just listening to my country music too loud to notice! I'm leaning toward the CAI causing the noise, but IDK if the noise is something to be concerned about or I need to remove the CAI (not that big of a deal).

To me it sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine compartment (where the CAI is located), and it's more profound when going up hill. Please let me know what y'all think. Thanks for reading!

-Mike
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Ford at heart

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed a kn yesterday..wouldnt doit again, or recomend it. I can tell you where your noise is coming from.. the metal box that sits in the bottom of the air box is loose..I bent my clamps so it would apply more pressure on the metal part...but more importantly..the metal part sits on the wiring harness that runs over that side of the radiator..big mistake..I saw that and modified the metal corner so that it will not rub a hole in the harness.
I have a question..why couldnt kn put 1/2" longer boots on to give some wiggle room in the alignment of the y? I AM VERY DISSAPPOINTED IN THeir kit..

The way the mass flow sensor attaches is mickey mouse as well.

Oh.this is not product reveiw forum..
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 1
I installed a kn yesterday..wouldnt doit again, or recomend it. I can tell you where your noise is coming from.. the metal box that sits in the bottom of the air box is loose..I bent my clamps so it would apply more pressure on the metal part...but more importantly..the metal part sits on the wiring harness that runs over that side of the radiator..big mistake..I saw that and modified the metal corner so that it will not rub a hole in the harness.
I have a question..why couldnt kn put 1/2" longer boots on to give some wiggle room in the alignment of the y? I AM VERY DISSAPPOINTED IN THeir kit..

The way the mass flow sensor attaches is mickey mouse as well.

Oh.this is not product reveiw forum..
Thanks for your reply, Mach. I went ahead and removed the K&N CAI today...problem. No more vibration noise when accelerating. Definitely my last K&N product purchase.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Ford at heart

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I was disappointed

Quick Reply: Weird Noise when Accelerating