Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Water in my OEM CAC (no hole) after 7000 km / drain valve project / BOV pipe removal

Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Car/Truck Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Water in my OEM CAC (no hole) after 7000 km / drain valve project / BOV pipe removal

So last week-end was mild outside @ 5C / 40F and I decided to take a look at my CAC.

I have a Aug-2013 built received in mid-september, so 5 months since with 7000 km / 4350 mi only.

Driving is really mixed city/highway, my girlfriend drive it weekdays and I do on week-end, making it sure to WOT once in a while when engine warm.

But with the cold winter we had, I suspect this water could have been there since fall, as it would remain freeze in this lower portion of the CAC, it would never get really hot the make it evaporate...

Here's the video and pictures

http://1drv.ms/1fnHhYV - Go at 2:00 min to bypass intro and see live water drop from CAC!

Pictures taken 3min after drop... some water was absorbed by cardboard

I forgot to accuratly measure that yellow water, my estimate is 25-30 ml max so not even 1 onze... not bad but I will never feel safe in my head, escially with spring at the door and lots of starting/shutdown near 0C

There was not real sign of liquified oil... just a thin film around the plastic... cleaning inside with a cloth it was minimal.

It also seems the output pipe coupling has grease, like vasoline over it, for an easy install at factory and air tight duct... so maybe that oil film and yellow water are due to that too (not from PCV vapor) ?

Anyway, drilling hole is in my plan... just chicken for warranty if something happens with time, and I got a extra 7yr/160000km powertrain+main componant warranty extension.

I tought of a mini drain valve that could be screw directly in the CAC plastic bottom... The one for Oil Change like Futomo QwikValve or EZ Oil Drain Valve
www.qwikvalve.com
www.ezoildrainvalve.com

The smallest hole and the highest thread pitch would be the best for plastic and it could be hold better with anti-seize and/or a lock nut from inside.

So it would allow you to open the drain as needed and even drive with an ~1-2mm output reductor at the end of the valve. But not being "flush-mount" inside would still allow some water to remain after drain... hum.

Oh and main thing, that won't looks OEM at all and maybe directly void the warranty vs a little and hidden hole :p

Is anybody has successfully install a drain valve on their OEM CAC ?

Last thing, what the heck this BOV is not vented to atmosphere !?!? Extra pressure goes back to intake just after filtration, before boost. I understand this is an emission issue but gosh, extra air pressure should'nt be dirty!!

Anybody as removed the BOV pipe so it will output to air and just block the hole in intake pipe ?

Is this a real BOV that only open during over boost or it also play a role in vacuum cause I don't want unfiltred fresh air sucking inside too ?

Comments welcome!

Last edited by angel2167882; 02-24-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

1. Why would blowoff air be unfiltered?
2. I initiated a long thread with instructions and reviews about routing the bpv to ATM.
3. I initiated a long thread about drilling a hole in the bottom of the intercooler, with instructions, theory, and reviews.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Car/Truck Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
2. I initiated a long thread with instructions and reviews about routing the bpv to ATM.

3. I initiated a long thread about drilling a hole in the bottom of the intercooler, with instructions, theory, and reviews.
Not really helping here mike...

Like I said, Is this a real BOV that only open during over boost or it also play a role in vacuum cause I don't want unfiltred fresh air sucking inside too ?

I other word, is the BOV only output air, just like it is supposed to do? Because it is controled electronicly so does it open in vacuum (deceleration) or low boost to allow sucking unpressurised air directly from intake... like an intake air bypassing turbo in certain condition for idle, low end torque, deceleration, etc

If it's the case then, I will leave the BOV outpipe to intake... otherwise, I may be temped to let the BOV output to ATM just like any regular BOV.

bpv = by-pass-valve ? Same thing as blow-off valve ? the thing you put on intake pass turbo and before TB to prevent overboost and that does pisft-pisft on ricer cars ?

For me, bypass valve != (is not) the same as blow-off valve right ?

Yep, I read it most of it and saw the pics too... my thread is more to inform the community of the lastest and "supposly" fix Aug-2013 Ecoboost CAC water issue with all the delectors, ECU reprograms, etc..

I also asked if a drain valve on the OEM CAC as been tried before...

And finally I was surprised to see a BOV going back to intake and tought about something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in my OEM CAC (no hole) after 7000 km / drain valve project / BOV pipe removal