Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Wagner IC folks - Have any of you drilled the hole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wagner IC folks - Have any of you drilled the hole?

Had the dreaded shudder/misfire issue on my truck last Thursday - first time I've had in the 33,000 km I've owned the truck. Truck specs are in my sig.

Conditions:
A little rainy/foggy in the morning (first hour or so) on a 900km trip through the Rockies (Calgary to Vancouver), the rest of the trip was bone dry and warm (20 - 30C). Was using cruise when I could but also varying speeds. About 5 hours into the drive, went to pass a slower moving vehicle and the truck fell flat on it's face while I was alongside. CEL started to flash, truck started to shake and I couldn't accelerate - lasted about 30 seconds and then the light went off and things went back to 'normal'. Right before the CEL came on, the engine rpm raced up to about 5k - it was like there was no load on the engine at all. It wasn't flooring it even when trying to get around the other vehicle. Just gave it a quick shot of gas to move around him like I'd done several times before on the trip prior. Reflashed to stock and continued on my trip with no issues.

Left with a dealer here and they can't replicate issue. Checked with them and TSB 14-0017 was applied at the factory for the ECM. Have the updated stock intercooler but it's been replaced with my Wagner.

I've run tuned with 5* since just after break in and the truck has been fine - back to stock only for any dealer servicing.

Have a 5* 87 p/t tune, Wagner IC plus AFE charge and hot side pipes - no other perf mods. Plugs were changed out to the new type (Motorcraft 545s?) and the gaps were at .030.

Have any of you with Wagners drilled your ICs? Not real excited about doing it but will if it helps alleviate the issue.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm curious also. I also have a Wagner, never had the issue but my stock CAC was drilled.
The following users liked this post:
Stampederfan (07-03-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Wagner cac in my truck for a year and i had the shutter happen to me three times I also have a catch can pulled it out about a 1/4 cup of water come out so I drilled the hole in it have had it like this for about two months no problems and no loss in power I did not what to do it to the Wagner but I think they make more condensation then stock as they are all I alunimun well it seem that way here in Texas
The following 2 users liked this post by slick 50:
Stampederfan (07-03-2015), Suzuki14258 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 PM

I drilled my Wagner CAC yesterday (1/16" as with stock CAC suggestion for bit size), definitely had some fluid (oil/water mix) buildup. For the first 5 hours or so it was leaking drop by drop pretty steady.

Has fallen away to the odd drop today so most of the fluid must've drained.

Drove around for a bit and got into boost a bunch to help the draining process. Could not get it to stumble let alone throw a CEL.

Glad I did this just to drain the CAC of most of the built up moisture/oil - we'll see if the 'shudder' happens again.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Default Wagner IC folks - Have any of you drilled the hole?

I have a Wagner, have not drilled the hole. Never had the misfire with stock intercooler, although it was drilled.
I plan on removing and cleaning I once a year. Unless I have a misfire I'll keep it stock.
Stampederfan (07-04-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you drilling the hole? I have the Wagner intercooler also and experienced the condensation issue once during a rainfall. I was kind of hesitant because I didn't want to damage the intercooler or loose boost pressure, so I was thinking of looking into the aFe intercooler that has the breather vent.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

The AFE bladerunner intercooler come with a hole drilled and tap with two plugs in a bag, one for completely closing the hole and another with a mesh grill (which I have) to get all the junk out.
Stampederfan (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon22685
Where are you drilling the hole? I have the Wagner intercooler also and experienced the condensation issue once during a rainfall. I was kind of hesitant because I didn't want to damage the intercooler or loose boost pressure, so I was thinking of looking into the aFe intercooler that has the breather vent.
I drilled it at the lowest point on the drivers side, similar to the stock IC drill point. If you crawl under your rig take a look, it will be pretty obvious where you need to drill it. Took me about 30 seconds to drill the hole. You won't notice any loss of performance via boost loss. You will find your flexible air dam will need to be wiped down occasionally as it is getting sprayed with crap as boost forces your oil/water mixture out of the hole you've drilled.

When I first drilled mine it leaked for about five hours (drop by drop) and then pretty much stopped as the liquid accumulation was gone. My front air dam gets wiped down about once per week now to remove the oily film so I know the hole is still working.

Last edited by Stampederfan; 08-04-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Toddman38 (09-07-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Andrade
The AFE bladerunner intercooler come with a hole drilled and tap with two plugs in a bag, one for completely closing the hole and another with a mesh grill (which I have) to get all the junk out.
Yeah, I thought about the Bladerunner as well before I bought the Wagner. Would've been more convenient to have a tapped hole already in play. I'm sure you're pretty happy with the AFE.

Oh well, hole is drilled in the Wagner and no more issues when driving during ideal weather conditions to replicate the problem.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have not done mine yet. I have had the misfire twice. may have to do it before I do next road trip

Quick Reply: Wagner IC folks - Have any of you drilled the hole?