Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

useless 3rd gear dead spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default useless 3rd gear dead spot

does anyone else get annoyed by the dead spot in 3rd gear roughly halfway through the rpm cycle. Under normal driving conditions with foot on the accelerator there is a noticeable dead spot where the RPM gauge actually will drop then regain itself and continue on. I get so annoyed by this it bothers me so bad. I was pulling a 2600 pounds trailer under moderate acceleration doing just fine through first gear, second gear, third gear horrible.
2014 5.0 with 3.73 gears
Old 12-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Thats the torque converter locking up. Try manual mode and you will notice it dosent happen. I find it more annoying that you have to almost completely stop to get 1st gear or it will try to resume driving in 3rd.

All in the name of mpg i guess.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

not nearly as frustrating as the 4th gear bang. when it goes from 3rd to 5th even though you're applying more throttle then it kicks back down a gear but feels like its hunting for it. mechanically it seems like its doing what its supposed to but the program is just stupid.
everyone I've met complains about how quickly it goes to 5th gear.
the options are drive like a granny and let it do its thing or drive over aggressively and get(demand) what you want. there's not much of a middle ground.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
does anyone else get annoyed by the dead spot in 3rd gear roughly halfway through the rpm cycle. Under normal driving conditions with foot on the accelerator there is a noticeable dead spot where the RPM gauge actually will drop then regain itself and continue on. I get so annoyed by this it bothers me so bad. I was pulling a 2600 pounds trailer under moderate acceleration doing just fine through first gear, second gear, third gear horrible.
2014 5.0 with 3.73 gears
I use T/H mode even on lighter trailers. It feels much better to me and I don't notice the 3rd gear slug. I also like the compression braking that T/H adds. That works great for me.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Yeah I agree with the lack of 1st gear usage. Ive also noticed it likes to stay in 5th gear. It seems that way in both towing and regular modes. It makes me believe that the motor struggles.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Fat Guy in Little Boat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHD06
not nearly as frustrating as the 4th gear bang.

Mine was doing that. Really rough slam when downshifting into 4th gear. I took it to the dealer and they reset the computer, and it hasn't done it since.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mvander
Thats the torque converter locking up. Try manual mode and you will notice it dosent happen. I find it more annoying that you have to almost completely stop to get 1st gear or it will try to resume driving in 3rd.

All in the name of mpg i guess.
Is the touque converter locking up a normal thing?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

2014 5.0 with 3.73 gears
Yes it's annoying just like the 4th gear bang. I think a tuner would help
Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the touque converter locking up a normal thing?
As far as i know its completely normal. When the converter is not locced there is some effeciency lost so the newer trans in most vehicles will lock them up early to save a bit of effeciency.
Think of it as a sliping clutch (although its not) that isnt letting all the power reach the wheels untill it grabs. Used to be a converter would only lock i high gear but the new ones are much smarter.

Quick Reply: useless 3rd gear dead spot