Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Two issues I simply cannot seem to get fixed??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two issues I simply cannot seem to get fixed??

My 2011 4x4 Eco has had two concerns from the early days (now 25K on the clock) that the dealer and I simply cannot seem to get resolved/fixed. 1. I have had a creaking noise in the front driver side suspension that is worse when cold but still evident when warmer. It is especially noticeable when driving over a speed bump at an angle with the drivers wheel hitting first and the wheel cut. It will make a creaking sound every time in that scenario. I have tried some oil on the coil spring seats and some rubber safe silicone spray at the A arm pivots and with no success. The dealer has looked and thought it was the rear leaf spring bushings, replaced those and it did nothing. This drivers side also seems weaker like it is softer than the passenger side. 2. I have had, again since the early days, what seems like play or slack in my drivetrain. It seems to occur when you come to a partial rolling stop and then get back on the throttle it will take up the slack. Does not sound like it is coming from the rear end but more from the transaxle or transfer case. Transmission has been flashed/reprogrammed several times (dealer's solution) and yet it persists.Anyone with similar concerns that can offer any insight?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by HogFan
My 2011 4x4 Eco has had two concerns from the early days (now 25K on the clock) that the dealer and I simply cannot seem to get resolved/fixed. 1. I have had a creaking noise in the front driver side suspension that is worse when cold but still evident when warmer. It is especially noticeable when driving over a speed bump at an angle with the drivers wheel hitting first and the wheel cut. It will make a creaking sound every time in that scenario. I have tried some oil on the coil spring seats and some rubber safe silicone spray at the A arm pivots and with no success. The dealer has looked and thought it was the rear leaf spring bushings, replaced those and it did nothing. This drivers side also seems weaker like it is softer than the passenger side. 2. I have had, again since the early days, what seems like play or slack in my drivetrain. It seems to occur when you come to a partial rolling stop and then get back on the throttle it will take up the slack. Does not sound like it is coming from the rear end but more from the transaxle or transfer case. Transmission has been flashed/reprogrammed several times (dealer's solution) and yet it persists.Anyone with similar concerns that can offer any insight?
What makes you think the driver side suspension is 'weaker' than the pass side?
As far as your 'slack' is concerned, I would tend to agree that it's most likely trans programming related. If you had actual mechanical 'slack', i.e. bad u-joint, ring and pinion, diff clutches etc., it would've increased, then wore out/broke long ago. That's one thing you can count on with mechanical probs.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to just drive it. It is a pickup truck
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The slack you are feeling may be related to the slip yoke. I had to replace mine because of clunking when stopping. Just an idea. BTW the dealerships refused to acknowledge a problem so I fixed it on my own dime.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

so if leather in your KR was tearing you should just drive it because it's a truck, and made for work? That's ridiculous. Nice try.

The second problem sounds like play in the driveshaft. I know it's very common for the GM guys to have to grease the yoke all the time (as i had to do with my Silverado.) Best of luck to you, and don't settle. Make them fix it.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

For the first issue try spraying the silicon lube on the swab bar bushing. For the second one it does sound like the slip yoke and mine is doing the same thing. I plan to return to stock and take it ti the dealership to have them replace it. Other members here have been able to remedy this problem by replacing the yoke. I believe that there's a tsb on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No idea on the first issue
Second issue I had on my 2010 FX4, was indeed the slip yoke. Dealer investigated and found the factory lube was minimal. TSB is out there on this issue. Good lube and it drives perfect now for the past 4 months. I have a good dealer and they looked after it under warranty with no issues.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
For the first issue try spraying the silicon lube on the swab bar bushing. For the second one it does sound like the slip yoke and mine is doing the same thing. I plan to return to stock and take it ti the dealership to have them replace it. Other members here have been able to remedy this problem by replacing the yoke. I believe that there's a tsb on it.
I too was going to guess sway bar bushing. There's at least 6 of them to pick from.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Do a search on here, there are at least one or two threads that describe a piece of plastic that is cracked near the front shocks. I forget exactly where and which part, but others had that creaking sound and had the parts or front shock replaced, can't remember. Mine does this too, just hopping out of the drivers seat.

As far as the 2nd, Ford is aware of the issue, my dealer ordered a "repair kit" for it that was backordered. Since the parts are backordered, I have not had the services performed so cannot provide any TSB #'s, etc.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
As far as the 2nd, Ford is aware of the issue, my dealer ordered a "repair kit" for it that was backordered. Since the parts are backordered, I have not had the services performed so cannot provide any TSB #'s, etc.
I had the TSB for the slip-yoke applied, but it never fixed it. My dealer said Ford has released an updated one that uses different grease. I haven't brought my truck back in yet for the newest TSB, but I'll get the number when I get the repair done.

Quick Reply: Two issues I simply cannot seem to get fixed??