Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tvs 1900 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tvs 1900 tuning

I've got a tvs1900 waiting to go on my 5.0 and I'm having a hard time finding a tuner for my needs. So far I've talked to AED, 5 star, and tried to contact Troyer multiple times. AED was awesome, if I was going to just dd my truck and never work out of it this would already be done. However they recommended that the truck not be used for towing more than 2-3k. I use my truck every day for work and don't want to lose its stock capabilities. 5 start just said no, didn't elaborate and I was fairly disappointed. I would love to be able to have 450 to the wheels, and use the truck just like ford intended too but it sounds like detonation on anything other than e85 is a real concern. I can't afford to drive with e85 due to the poor fuel mileage. Can anyone recommend me a tuner familiar with a supercharged 5.0 and tuning? Am I asking for too much? My old turbo'd ls did great and I towed everywhere with it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathan734
I've got a tvs1900 waiting to go on my 5.0 and I'm having a hard time finding a tuner for my needs. So far I've talked to AED, 5 star, and tried to contact Troyer multiple times. AED was awesome, if I was going to just dd my truck and never work out of it this would already be done. However they recommended that the truck not be used for towing more than 2-3k. I use my truck every day for work and don't want to lose its stock capabilities. 5 start just said no, didn't elaborate and I was fairly disappointed. I would love to be able to have 450 to the wheels, and use the truck just like ford intended too but it sounds like detonation on anything other than e85 is a real concern. I can't afford to drive with e85 due to the poor fuel mileage. Can anyone recommend me a tuner familiar with a supercharged 5.0 and tuning? Am I asking for too much? My old turbo'd ls did great and I towed everywhere with it.
Hi & Welcome!

www.vmptuning.com

Justin Starkey is a 5.0 TVS expert.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 05-11-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Give MPT a call.

Wonder why they say no towing? As long as you keep IATs an tranny temps down you should be fine. I towed a lot with my 03 with a Lightning motor and it was great!

Tvs 1900 tuning-image-2970110044.jpg

Wayne
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
Give MPT a call.

Wonder why they say no towing? As long as you keep IATs an tranny temps down you should be fine. I towed a lot with my 03 with a Lightning motor and it was great!

Attachment 316355

Wayne

And EGT's ....

MGD
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

^ that too!

Wayne
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Eric Brooks. Works for HpTuners, and has his own business Brooks Speed.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM

It came down to detonation and the ability to tune for part throttle boost scenarios. Shaun at AED explained it perfectly, and well, he's a lot smarter than I. I'll give VMP a call and see what they have to say. I'm worried I'm going to end up back in a diesel.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

It came down to detonation and the ability to tune for part throttle boost scenarios. Shaun at AED explained it perfectly, and well, he's a lot smarter than I. I'll give VMP a call and see what they have to say. I'm worried I'm going to end up back in a diesel.
Call magnuson and see if u can get one if the tunes from them, they are more than helpful!!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Youngone2012
Call magnuson and see if u can get one if the tunes from them, they are more than helpful!!!!
Hey man! I'm pretty bummed this thing isn't on yet! I haven't gone that route because of the stories of how much more driveable a custom tune is. I didn't realize when I bought this how truly different tuning capabilities are between Ford and GM. We could do anything we want with the ls stuff we built and from talking to a few guys it sounds like the Ford PCM isn't as accessible. I hope I am wrong...
Old 05-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey man! I'm pretty bummed this thing isn't on yet! I haven't gone that route because of the stories of how much more driveable a custom tune is. I didn't realize when I bought this how truly different tuning capabilities are between Ford and GM. We could do anything we want with the ls stuff we built and from talking to a few guys it sounds like the Ford PCM isn't as accessible. I hope I am wrong...
I was wondering!!! I was like what the heck, lol ... Man the magnuson tune is great driveability wise! But, the other tuners make more power, and obviously bump up the fine factor with higher rpm shifts and what not. I would say with the magnuson tune it feels like 70 hp is added, but with the aftermarket tune it felt like 120hp! I would speak with the guys at magnuson honestly lol . Shaun is great and I'm gonna have him tune my new ride but like u mentioned, he mentioned the heavy towing limit

Quick Reply: Tvs 1900 tuning