Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Turbo temp monitor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Default Turbo temp monitor

I'm pretty much an expert when it comes to the turbo-charged PowerStroke diesel, and have been a moderator on TheDieselStop for over 12 years. But I know zippo about the twin turbo setup on my soon-to-be-here F-150 EcoBoost.

On my diesel, before I took delivery the Ford service manager warned me to never shut off the engine until the oil in the turbo bearings had a chance to cool down. Later I learned that when the exhaust gas temp (EGT) cooled off to 300° or less, it was okay to kill the engine. ISSPRO made a gizmo that automagically killed the engine when the EGT cooled off to 300°. It's called the Turbo Temp Monitor. So you can pull the keys and go on about your business and the engine won't die until the EGT cools off to 300°.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/r4130.asp

Do the same or similar turbo cool down rules apply to the EcoBoost engine? Does anyone make something similar to the ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor for the EcoBoost engine?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

The turbos are water cooled and oil cooled so a cool down period isn't necessary. But if I was working them excessively for long periods of time I would probably let it idle for a minute or 2 to cool them down anyway. It may not be necessary but I'm used to letting the turbo in my GN cool down after flogging it.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The turbos on the EB are water cooled and dont require a prolonged cool down. Imnot saying you should pull a 10,000 trailer to Donners sumit and then shut it off but in most driving situations the turbos on the EB will not get hot enough to coke the oil and cause a problem. As to your question about the ISPRO unit I suppose you could dril and tap the exhaust manifolds and install a couple of type "K" thermocouples and install a E.G.T. gauge and at least moniter the temp. Bubbabud 2011 XLT SCAB EEEKoboost
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Furthermore, the water cooling is set up to thermosiphon and continue cooling after shutdown. Also, on a gas motor, EGT's will not fall to 300 deg unless the engine is off. They don't have all the excess air going through cooing things down like a Diesel.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Groveite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
The turbos are water cooled and oil cooled so a cool down period isn't necessary. But if I was working them excessively for long periods of time I would probably let it idle for a minute or 2 to cool them down anyway. It may not be necessary but I'm used to letting the turbo in my GN cool down after flogging it.

X2 the thermo-siphon is a great thing.....simple and functional. Not available on the 6.0's or 7.3's. I still idle for 2 minutes if I have to stop after a long climb....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a question about the turbos also. From what I have read the turbos are twin Garrett GT15 turbos. From what I read about them they are oil cooled and I have not found anything on the Internet about them being water cooled.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to this info?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Forbus
I have a question about the turbos also. From what I have read the turbos are twin Garrett GT15 turbos. From what I read about them they are oil cooled and I have not found anything on the Internet about them being water cooled.

Google ecoboost Bubbabud
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Furthermore, the water cooling is set up to thermosiphon and continue cooling after shutdown. Also, on a gas motor, EGT's will not fall to 300 deg unless the engine is off. They don't have all the excess air going through cooing things down like a Diesel.
I like when someone realizes that a Diesel is just a big air pump and doesn't have a throttle plate Warming up and Cooling down for a short time is never a bad thing IMO...just not a prolonged warmup or cooldown...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth Forbus

That's the SHO EB, not the F150. The F150 uses BW turbo's, we think the K03.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
I like when someone realizes that a Diesel is just a big air pump and doesn't have a throttle plate Warming up and Cooling down for a short time is never a bad thing IMO...just not a prolonged warmup or cooldown...
Yea, no throttle blade so no pumping losses.

I work with gas turbines, natural gas engines, etc. . . and it occurred to me one day that the SI gasoline engine is actually the only one that throttles the air to this extent.

Quick Reply: Turbo temp monitor