Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Turbo Coolant line leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Coolant line leak

At my last oil change I noticed that there was a coolant leak coming from the drivers side turbo. just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Is it just a simple gasket/o-ring replacement or will it necessitate replacement of the line leading out of the bottom of the turbo.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by latapx
At my last oil change I noticed that there was a coolant leak coming from the drivers side turbo. just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Is it just a simple gasket/o-ring replacement or will it necessitate replacement of the line leading out of the bottom of the turbo.
I'd suggest getting this into the hands of your dealership, latapx. How many miles are on the truck?

Crystal
Old 10-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
I'd suggest getting this into the hands of your dealership, latapx. How many miles are on the truck?

Crystal

Truck has 60K+ miles and the leak started between 50K and 60K on the odometer as the leak was not there at the 50K mile oil change. More than anything i wanted to see if this has been an issue with other folks and what the common cause was. That way i could order the parts before tearing it apart to repair it and avoid an extended down time.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 PM
New to Fords

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just found a coolant leak in my 2013 ecoboost this weekend. Its got 92K miles. Coolant level was fine at the last oil change 6K miles ago. Saturday I see a spot under the truck. I dropped the skid plate, but could not find the source of the leak. I had to add 1 gallon of coolant to bring the level in the reservoir back up to normal. I took it to the dealer on Saturday and only the quick serve guys were working. They put it on the rack and said it looks like the leak came from a thermostat housing.

I've done a few short trips since filling the reservoir and there has been no additional leaking, but what the heck caused the previous leak? Overheating? Never according to the gauge. I'll be taking it the the dealer in Castle Rock Colorado tomorrow morning and leaving it there for pressure test and to figure out what's up with the leak. I'm hoping my gold plan extended warranty that I bought when the truck was new will cover this issue.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

The fitting that the line snaps into has an oring inside. I have seen many of them leak there, replacing the fitting solved the problem. I think the heat from the turbo wears the oring out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackpony:
latapx (10-13-2014), TyE (08-24-2021)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 PM
New to Fords

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealer said my coolant leak was from the exit line from the coolant reservoir. It required a $700 repair including a full replacement of the reservoir.

I suspect the problem occurred due to a poor seal at that junction which leaks under high engine rpm. If you remove the cap on your coolant reservoir and slowly rev your motor you will see a rise in the coolant level in the reservoir which I believe equates to a rise in pressure at the outlet hose. So when I drove down a LONG hill in trailer mode and the motor sustained a high rpm I likely found the weak spot in the system a lost a lot of coolant.
Be careful out there guys.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpony
The fitting that the line snaps into has an oring inside. I have seen many of them leak there, replacing the fitting solved the problem. I think the heat from the turbo wears the oring out.
Judging from the illustration from below, the fitting that wears out is the following:

6A968C

Should I simply replace the fitting or the lines as well? Should have take pictures while I was down there.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Re...3&n=BL3Z6A968B
Old 10-16-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by latapx
Judging from the illustration from below, the fitting that wears out is the following:

6A968C

Should I simply replace the fitting or the lines as well? Should have take pictures while I was down there.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Re...3&n=BL3Z6A968B
I just replaced the fittings. They are a quick connect style with a wire clip that holds the line on and an o ring that seals it. From what I have seen the o ring gets a flat spot and begins to seep coolant. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TyE (08-24-2021)
Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting. I've been catching a wiff of coolant on mine as well. Just a fraction under 100k. Anybody notice this turbo is making a weird noise as well?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Name:  20141023_170604.jpg
Views: 36123
Size:  45.5 KB

Just got under there again and took a photo.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Turbo Coolant line leak