Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Turbo cool down?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 AM
jbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo cool down?

Hey guys. It looks like I'll be picking up an Ecoboost tomorrow and I have a question. From what I've heard, it's a good idea to let your turbo cool down a bit before you shut down the engine. I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure why. I believe it has to do with cooling the oil moving through the turbo down so it won't gel and gunk up your turbo.

First of all, if somebody could tell me actual reason for letting it cool. (If my understanding above is incorrect). Second, do you guys let your engine cool down before shutting it down. My friend has a cummins and he has a timer on it so the engine won't shut down until it's cooled. He just gets out and the truck keeps running (no keys and cab locked) until it's cooled down.

Thanks guys. Just don't wanna crew this thing up.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 AM

The turbos on the EB are water cooled and I've been told cool down is not an issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it needed a turbo timer, it would have one already installed from the factory.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jbj
Hey guys. It looks like I'll be picking up an Ecoboost tomorrow and I have a question. From what I've heard, it's a good idea to let your turbo cool down a bit before you shut down the engine. I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure why. I believe it has to do with cooling the oil moving through the turbo down so it won't gel and gunk up your turbo.

First of all, if somebody could tell me actual reason for letting it cool. (If my understanding above is incorrect). Second, do you guys let your engine cool down before shutting it down. My friend has a cummins and he has a timer on it so the engine won't shut down until it's cooled. He just gets out and the truck keeps running (no keys and cab locked) until it's cooled down.

Thanks guys. Just don't wanna crew this thing up.
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboo...hutdown-87828/
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
jbj

Thanks for you help guys. Just got home with her.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo cool down?