Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Tuners

Couple questions on tuners for EB

1. how much hp/tq over stock is seen?

2. Can a dealer tech retrieve data from the ECM/ECU that shows an altered tune, voiding the warranty?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

1. Depends on the tune. Check the websites for SCT, MPT, 5 Star, the SSI forum to see results. I mention those because I think the info is readily available on those sites. However, dyno results are only one criteria for choosing a tune. Other criteria are drive-ability and safety. The fastest tune may not be the one best for you.
2. The factory may, the dealer probably not.
A guy who had removed his tune 1000 miles ago went in for work and they denied based on catback and tune. He said what tune and they did the warranty work. They were just fishing.
Never take the truck in without reverting to stock. It is best to put about 300 miles on the stock tune to clear evidence of a reset, but if called on it, you checked and cleared codes with a code reader like ScanGauge.
For something like a blown engine, Ford may ask for the PCM to check for anomalies like excessive boost, etc and may deny warranty based on findings. I know of one case where a tuned EB truck blew and was tuned and the warranty work was done anyway because the broken piston skirts were a casting flaw not caused in any way by the owner.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 12-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johndeerefarmer (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

So with all vendors, only one reply. Thanks Ski. Was hoping for more information on possible voiding of warranty.

Concerning hp/tq, I realize many factors involved, was just looking for "ballpark" numbers or %.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
1. Depends on the tune. Check the websites for SCT, MPT, 5 Star, the SSI forum to see results. I mention those because I think the info is readily available on those sites. However, dyno results are only one criteria for choosing a tune. Other criteria are drive-ability and safety. The fastest tune may not be the one best for you.
2. The factory may, the dealer probably not.
A guy who had removed his tune 1000 miles ago went in for work and they denied based on catback and tune. He said what tune and they did the warranty work. They were just fishing.
Never take the truck in without reverting to stock. It is best to put about 300 miles on the stock tune to clear evidence of a reset, but if called on it, you checked and cleared codes with a code reader like ScanGauge.
For something like a blown engine, Ford may ask for the PCM to check for anomalies like excessive boost, etc and may deny warranty based on findings. I know of one case where a tuned EB truck blew and was tuned and the warranty work was done anyway because the broken piston skirts were a casting flaw not caused in any way by the owner.

Ski pretty much hit it nail on the head.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

The one build is that if you go with a programmer such as an SCT device, it will come with a couple of canned tunes to get your feet wet. Some stay with the canned tune and some want more that is to be had with a custom tuner (dyno or email.)

I believe the number for a stock sct 87 tune was +35HP
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by natural gasser
So with all vendors, only one reply. Thanks Ski. Was hoping for more information on possible voiding of warranty.

Concerning hp/tq, I realize many factors involved, was just looking for "ballpark" numbers or %.
How about 35 to 80 hp and 66 to 130 tq. Rough estimates, but here is the SCT flyer on theirs:
http://www.sctflash.com/PDF/SCT_Ecoboost.pdf

I think vendors prefer not to talk about possible loss of warranty, but it seems to be pretty rare for it to happen. You can minimize that possibility by being smart about it.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 12-05-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by natural gasser

I had my turbos go out on my 12 and as soon as it happened I went home put everything back to stock and reflashed back to stock tune, then I unplugged the battery for 30 minutes and drove it straight there ( 10 miles ). They never found anything but I was prepared to pay if they did. I talked to my service guy after the work was done and came clean to see his reaction and he was like seriously we couldn't find anything because we always look first. So whether my trick worked or the mechanic looked past it. Either way I won.

My best advice is to deny deny deny, like ski said tell them you reflashed it for codes at auto zone or something. But always deny no matter what they say.

Quick Reply: Tuners