Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Troubled and Puzzled with Ecoboost....Next step?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Troubled and Puzzled with Ecoboost....Next step?

Hi Guys,
1st apologies for the small novel but I also hope to help anyone else who may come accross this in the future.
I am having a few issues with my 2011 Ecoboost and was looking for some thoughts from everyone.
It only has 11,500ish miles on it and is not driven very hard.
A few weeks ago my check engine light came on, the truck was running fine so I continued to drive it home figuring a possible sensor issue which is normally no biggie. Anyways I contacted the dealer the following morning to set up an appt for it. (they were busy for a week solid and couldnt look at it right away) The very next morning I fire it up and the engine light is gone.
I called the dealer and they basically said no light no problem....right!
So fast forward 9 days later, I'm coming home from work and low and behold the light comes back on. So I drive over to the dealer and ask them to scan it right away. The tech pulls the following codes: P0175, P0172, P2196, P2197. All relate to running rich. They ask if they can pull it into the shop for an hour or so and I give them the okay.
An hour into it they have no answer and run out of time for the day. So they tell me to take it home and bring it back in the next morning or whenever is convenient.
I bring it back in today which is the next morning as this all happened yesterday.

Here's their diagnostic:
Complaint/Correction: Check engine light is on. Check and advise.
DLC hook up, EEC test, Found multiple codes as follows, P0172, P0175, P2196, P2197. Verified rich condition with data monitor. Checked for intake leaks as per pinpoint test. ***Found oil fill cap o ring broken and missing*** Contacted Ford hotline about remaining rich run condition which was reduced. Hotline advised to proceed with oil change and recheck.
Verified after oil change with clearing keep alive memory. Road tested and data monitor. Fuel trims appear normal after road test. No further problems found.
Suspect that the condition was initiated by the loss of the seal at the oil fill cap resulting in improper PCV system operation which resulted in fuel contaminating the oil which again gradually worsened the run rich condition. After retest no further faults found.

The oil has been changed 3 times including todays...all by the same dealer so if that seal was missing and broken I wonder how it happened....and they didn't notice either I guess...hmmm
I have no idea how much gas was in the oil but I know it doesnt take too much over an extended period of time to cause damage.
Cats may be partially plugged now...I'm sure Ford will not do anything if they do not pull a code.
My gas milage has been less then steller since about 3000 miles. Fuel economy has worsened. I've never bought trucks with fuel economy in mind but my 2006 F150 5.4L gets better milage then this thing and it has 115,000 miles on it.....sad.
Of couse I worry about a leaky injector as well or the rings not seated properly.
Thoughts on possible next steps or possible damage caused by the fuel in the gas. Am I getting too concerned and worked up about it?
I'll take a big hit if I trade her in and would only do this if the problem continues but I am very concerned about the possible issues this may cause in the future. Plus the engine must of been submitted to accelerated wear from the gas affecting multiple engine components. Cats, Plugs, etc.
What would you do next?

Last edited by FordF150Freak; 02-01-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would just drive it unless something else comes up. No sense in getting worked up over what "might" happen.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

A little gas in the oil isn't going to hurt anything. I'm not sure I buy the oil cap o-ring deal but just drive it an see what happens... No need to get worked up yet. Also, a little beating every now and then won't hurt the motor and might actually help it run better.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Quit worrying and drive it. You've got it logged at the dealer so if anything happens its already on record. Go beat the tar out of it and quit worrying.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Gas in the oil is not a good sign. Leaky injectors could be causing this problem.

Right now you are still under warranty, so you are protected. But, you seem to keep your trucks for the long term and what could be the consequences down the road from this type of problem, so I think that is your major concern.

Diluted oil can cause excessive wear on an engine and could result in early failures. Your best bet would be, if you decide to keep the truck is to look into an extended warranty when you factory warranty is up.

Hopefully the dealer can fix your problem and this won't have to be an issue for you.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

In my experience, it takes a LOT of fuel in the oil to do any damage. Did you have an oil analysis done to determine how much fuel was in it?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Centexguy
In my experience, it takes a LOT of fuel in the oil to do any damage. Did you have an oil analysis done to determine how much fuel was in it?
I would of if the dealer would of let me know before hand. They did not tell me about the gas in the oil until I arrived to pick it up. By then it had been disposed of. I am planning on pulling a sample in about a 1000 miles or so and will have it sent it in.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

This:
" resulted in fuel contaminating the oil which again gradually worsened the run rich condition"
This is what the tech wrote, verbatim?
I'm smelling something fish-related here.
The following users liked this post:
engineermike (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by yokev
This:
" resulted in fuel contaminating the oil which again gradually worsened the run rich condition"
This is what the tech wrote, verbatim?
I'm smelling something fish-related here.
Yes it sure is.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're concerned about the health of your engine, and any damage that may have occurred from fuel dilution (much more common in diesel engines), then take an oil sample and send it to Blackstone Laboratories. They will send you a sampling kit for free. Once you mail in their sample, it only takes a couple days to get your results.

They'll tell you how well your air cleaner is working, if you have any fuel or coolant in your oil, and the general condition of your engine. It only costs about $30.

When I was in to hot rod diesels, I sent samples out with every oil change. With my 100% stock under warranty Ecoboost, I just beat the crap out of it and don't worry about it. If it blows up I'm still under warranty. At least until my lease is up.

Quick Reply: Troubled and Puzzled with Ecoboost....Next step?