Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Transmission searching

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission searching

I have had my ecoboost for about 2 months now and it seems like the transmission is searching for the right gear a little to often. It mostly happens when im using cruise control and going up or down hill....anybody else notice this???
Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What rear end do you have? I have not noticed this in mine. I thought my ten did this and my 11 was much better. However my 10 never made the hard 1-2 shift or the 2-1. I thought I was just lucky and not having the issues others have posted. Not the case with the 11. To my surprise I'm getting the hard clunk from time to time. Hopefully will not continue because I absolutely love the truck. I have the 3:73 rear in the 11 EB. And I had the 3:55 LS in the 10.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

My ecoboost with 3.73's stays in 6th very well. I did notice in cruise and going downhill if your speed gets too high over the setting, the transmission downshifts to give you compression braking to check your speed. It doesn't use any more fuel as the fuel shut off feature is active when off the throttle.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dcfluid
My ecoboost with 3.73's stays in 6th very well. I did notice in cruise and going downhill if your speed gets too high over the setting, the transmission downshifts to give you compression braking to check your speed. It doesn't use any more fuel as the fuel shut off feature is active when off the throttle.
I have to noticed the down hill downshift. I thought it was a nice feature.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueoval28
What rear end do you have? I have not noticed this in mine. I thought my ten did this and my 11 was much better. However my 10 never made the hard 1-2 shift or the 2-1. I thought I was just lucky and not having the issues others have posted. Not the case with the 11. To my surprise I'm getting the hard clunk from time to time. Hopefully will not continue because I absolutely love the truck. I have the 3:73 rear in the 11 EB. And I had the 3:55 LS in the 10.
3.73 rear end, the downshift is a little bit rougher than i would like it to be. It seems like every time i go down a hill in cruise it downshifts to "compression brake" and almost immediately has to shift back up after a short hill which leads to 2-3 shifts in 8-12 secs which seems pretty extreme.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

with active learning these trans seem to be like toddlers learning to walk. My eco is not to bad but my 11 superduty was terrible for the first 5k. It would shift back and forth like someone learning how to drive a stick. Dealership told me to drive it hard for a few days and it seemed to clear up the shift confusion.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old Duramax would shift hard if I didn't drive it like I normally would.. If the Ecoboost transmission is as smart as that allison was then it may be the same issue with the hard shifts.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jat2339
I have had my ecoboost for about 2 months now and it seems like the transmission is searching for the right gear a little to often. It mostly happens when im using cruise control and going up or down hill....anybody else notice this???

I'm glad I'm not the only one with transmission questions my 2011 5.0L has some odd transmission issues that I've never had in a Ford Truck. One of the oddest things is that it shifts from 1st to 4th gear very quick. It's in 4th gear in city traffic at 30 mph......not good when traffic starts moving faster... it bogs down for what seems like forever before it down shifts to start moving in the correct gear.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgiaboy5.0L
I'm glad I'm not the only one with transmission questions my 2011 5.0L has some odd transmission issues that I've never had in a Ford Truck. One of the oddest things is that it shifts from 1st to 4th gear very quick. It's in 4th gear in city traffic at 30 mph......not good when traffic starts moving faster... it bogs down for what seems like forever before it down shifts to start moving in the correct gear.
Does it take more than normal throttle for the transmission to down shift or execute its passing gear? From your response, it seems as you have to press the throttle to the floor in order for the transmission to downshift...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swiffer
Does it take more than normal throttle for the transmission to down shift or execute its passing gear? From your response, it seems as you have to press the throttle to the floor in order for the transmission to downshift...

Not all the way to the floor but over half way

Quick Reply: Transmission searching