Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Towing review - 3.7 4x4 scab

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

Smile Towing review - 3.7 4x4 scab

A little follow-up to the original write up.....
I towed 400kms (250 miles) this weekend. The trailer I was towing is a 17' Sunset Trails Hybrid. It weighs 3400# on the single axle, with about 350# on the tongue. It tows like a parachute, a lot harder pull than many 3800# trailers, mostly because it stands tall at almost 10' tall and 8' wide, and has a squared off front with only a slight rake to it.

Both to and from, I had a stiff crosswind, blowing slightly from the back, but mostly across. Starting out I put it in tow / haul and pulled out on the highway. Compared to the Tacoma I had, (2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 V6, 5 sp auto) that had a wallop of midrange torque, the 3.7 is softer in the midrange, but the noticeably flatter torque output was apparent down low (<3000rpm and >5000rpm). The 3.7 tends to rev quite high; when I pulled on the highway and leaned on it, it went right to 7000rpm in 2nd. It was a bit noisy.....But it got to 60 mph in I would estimate around 15-16 seconds. Anyhow I got up to 100kmh (62 mph), and it settled into 5th @ 2300ish rpm. The 6 speed is sure a slick trans for towing, especially the manual mode. As I got into some curves and slight elevation changes, it went for 4th gear and 2900rpm a couple times. A lot smoother and quieter than when the Taco went for 3rd I might add.

The Tacoma would tow at 2600 rpm in 4th, and would go for 3rd at 3800 rpm at the slightest headwind or grade. Cruise control would not operate when 3rd gear was selected, so I would put up with 3-4th shifting fits / cruise control mutiny. It was the first truck I ever had an issue like this, and it's cruise control "logic" was about as sophisticated as Atari Pac-Man.

I selected manual (M), and locked it in 5th. I think anyone who tows much at all has experienced the annoyance of going a speed that the tow rig can just managed, in say 5th, but periodically it jumps down a gear just because the cruise control is down a couple kph. Anyhow, locked in 5th, the speed never wavered more than a few kph. The cruise control works about a million times better / smoother / more responsive / less intrusive / more sophisticated that the Tacoma. The Taco would lose as much as 7 - 10 kph, go full throttle in third, and overshoot the setting by as much as 10 kph. Then it would upshift, lose the setting again, and sometimes it would continue to have a fit 3 or 4 times before it sorted itself out. Not to mention, there was not means to lock out 4th gear on the Taco, as the cruise control would not operate when 3rd was selected. Stupid, irritating, and not efficient.

Given the fact that the F150 has an extra gear, it allowed to the engine to run more efficiently at all speeds, and although I do not have enough towing miles to make a final judgment, it appears that the 3.7 is approximately 10% more fuel efficient while towing.

I should mention the obvious.... The F150 is way quieter, and smoother, (than the Taco) and it was not apparent that the trailer was even back there, other than the obvious load under acceleration. So far, I am very pleased with the 3.7. The only thing that threw me at all was the engine screaming to 7K rpm with the trailer attached. Without the trailer, I was totally fine with it, as it gains rpm so quickly it just winds up and shifts. With the trailer, it still accelerates no problem, but it just seems a little much. I should mention, acceleration was more than adequate under 4K rpm. My trip through the mountains next year should be interesting. Hopefully the 3.7 is "Ford Tough", as I will not be cutting it any slack.

What an awesome upgrade from my previous truck.....WOW!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a satisfied customer. I was very close to getting the 3.7L but ended up with the turbo... no idea if I made the right decision yet.

Oh wait I know why... I couldn't get the 4x4 and XLT custom options together.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by superccs
Sounds like a satisfied customer. I was very close to getting the 3.7L but ended up with the turbo... no idea if I made the right decision yet.

Oh wait I know why... I couldn't get the 4x4 and XLT custom options together.

? Mine is an XLT 4X4....

Quick Reply: Towing review - 3.7 4x4 scab