Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Towing with my EB

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Towing with my EB

I just got done towing my 32.5ft travel trailer with my new EB for the first time. I took it about 30 miles on a hilly road near my house. All I can say is awesome! I was very impressed with everything from the rear cam to the trailer brake. I had no problem holding speed up hills and I could barely tell the trailer was their. Ford did it right when they built this engine.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM

"could barely tell the trailer was there"
im not tryin to be a jerk here, but it just gets old reading this line on the forums all the time

i know we all love our trucks, especially you EB guys , but COME ON.. a 32 ft trailer we are talking about here behind a half ton truck!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guarantee you'll know it's there if you have to stop fast!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Ahh, give him a break..no pun intended. Myself, going from a 2010 with 5.4 to a 2011 ecoboost it was a night and day difference pulling a 31.5 ft travel trailer weighing 7,700 lbs. Been all over western Montana, over the passes, in the wind and the difference in power is amazing. Even had to slam on the brakes for a herd of buffalo in the road in Yellowstone. It stopped and in plenty of time. I almost traded for a super duty, but now I'm glad I didn't. Don't expect any better gas mileage towing. I'm getting about the same as with the 5.4...averaging between 8.5 to 11 depending upon the wind, hills etc. on the trip, but with substantially more pulling power.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

I swear the truck/trailer combo stops better then the truck alone.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by banshee150
"could barely tell the trailer was there"
im not tryin to be a jerk here, but it just gets old reading this line on the forums all the time

i know we all love our trucks, especially you EB guys , but COME ON.. a 32 ft trailer we are talking about here behind a half ton truck!!
maybe you ought to go drive one. being a half ton truck aint got nothing to do with it. its the low end torque of the ecoboost that is so good. feels like a diesel for its torque but feels like a gasser for its acceleration. best of both wordls.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 PM

I pulled my 30fter on a 140ish mile round trip last week, and yes it is amazing the power of the eb. It was mild rolling hills to flat. Yes the truck has power, but you know the trailer is there. Averaged 10mpg which would like better but not complaining. The same trip last year with my 5.3 got me 8 mpg and I have way more power.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I towed a car on a double axle car hauler. I really did forget the trailer was there and almost got into an accident because of it.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than the firmer ride, you can easily forget the trailer is back there (if loaded properly). It just does it so easily... you dont have to mash on the throttle or anything, just gently press the accelerator and the truck smoothly accelerates. It *might* hit 3,000 RPM before shifting gears.

Of course, being a half ton truck, be sure the trailer is loaded properly. I've learned that if your helper springs aren't touching (for a 7,000 pound trailer), you don't have enough tongue weight. Put more weight in the nose of the trailer until the helper springs are completely engaged. This will really stiffen the ride up and make the trailer sway a lot less. The rear of the truck will be squatted down a little more than the front if the helpers are totally engaged, but it will drive VERY nice. I weighed mine with the trailer loaded in this manner, none of the axles were over weight.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried to like your post then realized it wasn't Facebook...yes good info.

Quick Reply: Towing with my EB