Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Torque News

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque News

An article from Torque News, was expecting the typical Edge, Superchips references but instead custom tuning for the Ecoboost. Thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.torquenews.com/1/f-150-ec...tuning-options
Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 PM

For those that don't want to click on the link.

5 Star
Known widely for their towing tunes. Performance is improved over stock. Most users feel that the way the truck behaves with this tune is the way it should have come from the factory. Known for driveability, not all out performance. They offer an optional powertrain warranty.
Unleashed Tuning
Unleashed tuning has a very responsive customer service. Torrie usually replies to you within an hour or less, even on the weekends. Initial tunes that are sent are mild. He prefers to ramp up performance while datalogging so he can see how your engine responds. This tuner focuses primarily on WOT tuning and daily driving is marginally affected. This tuner will make any adjustments to the tune that you request.
Leading Edge Tuning (LET)
This tuner alters the entire driving experience up to and including WOT. Daily drivability is vastly improved. Shift points seem to happen when they are naturally supposed to. WOT power is greatly improved. Erick also improves with revisions, but offers a more aggressive tune out of the box. This tuner will make any adjustments to the tune that you request
More Power Tuning (MPT)
This tuner also alters the complete driving experience over stock. Depending on selection of options, there are many different ways they will set you up. I chose 93 performance/race. Tip in is slightly more aggressive than stock. Shift points are vastly improved. WOT power is greatly improved over stock. Shift strategy holds gears longer to keep the engine in the power curve. I also observed the knock system was calibrated to react much faster in order to add or retard timing. This tuner will make any adjustments to the tune that you request
Southern Speed Inc (SSI)
Very aggressive tuning known for making extreme power and taking your truck to the edge of the envelope. Tip in is extremely aggressive. This tuner currently holds the record for fastest tune only ecoboost. This tuner is only for the most vigilant and brave enthusiast. Reports of blown engines are plentiful, and customer service seems to be hit or miss.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Good info! Sounds about right.
Thanks for posting
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a touch of bull**** in this article.
1) not a mention of some other tuners out there (like livernois)
2) to say ssi "taking your truck to the edge of the envelope" and "tip in is extremely aggressive" means the writer didnt do his homework. Ssi offers lesser tunes with very gentle tip in (say for winter driving). And the customer service has been no better or worse for me than dealing with 5*. When you call ssi you get the guy actually writing your tune so you may not get through the first time but IF YOU PUT FORTH EFFORT it pays off.
3) calling only one of these companies out for "blown motors" is pretty slanderous. All these companies have seen failures and if they say theyve never had a customer failure they are flat out lying.

Last edited by Bonesoftitanium; 01-06-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Seems ligit to me

Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 01-06-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:35 AM

I appologize, I missed a snippet. Livernois was mentioned but the author admitted that they didn't know much about them. So at least the author appears to have put in some research, plus it had to have been for it to be published.

It appears that some SSI guys are going to take offence but it appears the article gives them credit for being fast and powerful.

But hard to say. Everyone has their opinions. This article could be biased for all I know. But at least it contains some good info.

Last edited by BobJ; 01-06-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 AM

And at least the article isn't just about Edge or any other generic tuner. Cuz we all know that custom tuners are way better.

Quick Reply: Torque News