Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Throttle body swap 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 PM
The Punisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body swap 5.0

I have the opportunity to get a free throttle body from a buddy who had a 2006 mustang gt. He had a ford racing twin throttle body on his 4.6. Now how can I make this work, or will it work? He is also giving me the sensors, cold air intake, and any related accesories. My thought is with some type of adapter that I could get made would get it working and possibly some tuning. My truck is a 2012 5.0. Thanks for any help just got an opportunity for free mods and figured I might be able to make it work.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default TB thoughts

If it worked it may be pretty cool. I too ha a neighbor that replaced his TB and went with magnaflows and an X pipe. Even without a tune it was quite a difference from the stock set up. I have headers for my truck and have not installed them and I am wondering if doing the TB at the same time would be worth the additional money. Keep us posted.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

1. larger/different throttle body will net 0(ZERO) performance gains. *Possibly (?) better throttle response.
  2. NOTHING is *free*.
    You'll ...
    • need to fabricate an adapter.
    • futz-with / compensate-for any ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) issues.
    • need to overcome any other throttle related issues. e.g. IAC
    • need tune considerations with no benefit of performance gains.
    etc., etc., etc..
Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaust329
I have the opportunity to get a free throttle body from a buddy who had a 2006 mustang gt. He had a ford racing twin throttle body on his 4.6. Now how can I make this work, or will it work? He is also giving me the sensors, cold air intake, and any related accesories. My thought is with some type of adapter that I could get made would get it working and possibly some tuning. My truck is a 2012 5.0. Thanks for any help just got an opportunity for free mods and figured I might be able to make it work.
1. Waste of time & effort. Yer 5.0 already has a better TB than the one you are talking aboot.

2. CAI - is a useless piece of junk - no gains, dirtier MAF.

3. With a CS - you can't get any of the required custom tuning anyway - you'd need to spend ~$400 to get an SCT X4.

MGD
Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 PM
The Punisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help I had some of those concerns myself but wasn't sure. I'm pretty decent with a wrench but I got my limits.

Quick Reply: Throttle body swap 5.0