Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

For those with a drastic drop in power in their Eco post TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default For those with a drastic drop in power in their Eco post TSB

Check and recheck for boost leaks. I didn't notice this was leaking until the oil started showing up. See how the bottom pipe is barely farther off the connection on the IC than the top one? Well, it was creating a huge loss of power in my truck...others have said they have experienced a huge loss of power as well. In my case...this was the cause, and it was either because the dealer did a bad install of the revised IC, or oil got into the connection making the pipe slip off. I cleaned with brake cleaner, refastened...and all is good. I just towed 280 miles, got 14.4 mpg and the truck down****ed out of 6th twice. The last time I did this tow, same trailer/load in similar weather, I was 11.xx mpg and truck would downshift to 5th regularly and even to 4th.

The following 4 users liked this post by maplelakeduckslayer:
brucesears (05-27-2014), gillysmi (05-27-2014), HunterSmitty (05-26-2014), pprior (05-28-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Check and recheck for boost leaks. I didn't notice this was leaking until the oil started showing up. See how the bottom pipe is barely farther off the connection on the IC than the top one? Well, it was creating a huge loss of power in my truck...others have said they have experienced a huge loss of power as well. In my case...this was the cause, and it was either because the dealer did a bad install of the revised IC, or oil got into the connection making the pipe slip off. I cleaned with brake cleaner, refastened...and all is good. I just towed 280 miles, got 14.4 mpg and the truck down****ed out of 6th twice. The last time I did this tow, same trailer/load in similar weather, I was 11.xx mpg and truck would downshift to 5th regularly and even to 4th.
That's awesome news! Glad you found that and you can get your power and mileage back.
The following users liked this post:
peps13lariat (07-22-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Grabbing a flashlight and heading out now!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

MDS, I know how long you have struggled with your truck so it is great to see that you finally have a strong running EB!

Thanks for the post, I am going to check mine too.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks!...I am very very relieved. I did check everything post TSB when I noticed the loss of power...but at that time everything was clean and seeing the pipe a quarter inch or so off didn't seem significant...especially since the clamp and everything was below rib meant to help hold it on...and everything was tight.

It'd be great if this helped a couple guys out.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has oil all over it as well but it is pushed all the way down. Ive always wondered how it got there. It is also on my drivers side turbo inlet tube. Which could be from oil changes, but I have no clue about the other. I will double check it tho to make sure its not leaking anywhere.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Good eye
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spence08
Mine has oil all over it as well but it is pushed all the way down. Ive always wondered how it got there. It is also on my drivers side turbo inlet tube. Which could be from oil changes, but I have no clue about the other. I will double check it tho to make sure its not leaking anywhere.
Its from the drivers side PVC tube. Its supposed to be the clean side of the PVC system but as we all know when in boost it reverses. Check your oil level as well because of the gas in oil raising the level problem makes this even worse. I took mine apart and cleaned it all up. Then installed the Rx catch can with the clean side filter and it catches all the stuff that was going into the drivers side turbo inlet from the PVC.

The Only problem I have now is the Rx clean side is leaking what it catches around the top of the oil fill cap area. I need to talk to them about getting this replaced but it does keep it from going into the turbo tube.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a catch can and I put a breather filter on the drivers side valve cover pvc and capped off the turbo inlet so no oil goes through there during boost
Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

No such luck for me. Glad it all worked out for you

Quick Reply: For those with a drastic drop in power in their Eco post TSB