Any fix should be done by a qualified person. Perform any redneck fix at your own risk.
Ford just came out with a TSB today 12-6-4 to reprogram the PCM/TCM to latest level, installed a deflector shield on the intercooler and possibly replace the drivers side catalytic convertor if needed.
Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles built on or before 5/24/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine exhibit a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and drivability concerns.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:
- Intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds being more noticeable during humid or damp conditions.
- Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.
- Powertrain control module (PCM) Misfire DTC P030x.
- PCM DTC P0430 and/or P0299.
INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.
- Check for DTC P0430. Is DTC P0430 present?
- Yes - Replace the left bank catalytic converter assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.
- No - Proceed to Step 2.
- Is the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) equipped with an air deflector plate? (Figure 1A)
Figure 1 - Article 12-6-4
- Yes - Proceed to Step 4.
- No - Proceed to Step 3.
- Install CAC air deflector plate with two new push pins. (Figure 1B) Proceed to step 4.
- Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.02A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
PART NUMBERPART NAMEBL3Z-5E212-E
Catalytic Converter AssemblyW520514-S440
Nuts (2 Req)CL3Z-19E672-A
Push Pin (2 Req)
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120604A2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)0.5 Hr.120604B2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Replace The Left Catalytic Converter, Install CAC Air Deflector Plate if Necessary And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.0 Hr.
BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE5E212 (OPERATION B)126K775 (OPERATION A)42
The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company