Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tech at Dealer forgot to reattach air filter cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tech at Dealer forgot to reattach air filter cover

So while visiting my parents in New Mexico for the Thanksgiving weekend, I took my truck in to get it's first oil change at the dealer near their house. When I picked up my truck and drove it from the dealer back to my parents house, which is about a 5 minute drive, it seemed the exhaust was louder than before, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Now, while driving my truck back home after my visit, which is about a 400 mile drive to my house in AZ, it seemed like my truck was indeed louder than before, the exhaust had a noticible droan, which it didn't seem to have on the way there or before. Today, while driving home from work I was really noticing that the exhaust sounded much loader than before so I popped the hood to take a look. Well as soon as I pop the hood I notice the top part of the air filter box is not attached and is in fact sitting about an inch off of the bottom air filter box. So my brand new 2011 FX4, which I just bought in August was sucking unfiltered air for a 400 + mile drive and then to and from work here in AZ today. Oh and I also took a drive down a dirt road so my dog could relieve herself during the drive home from my parents house.

My question is, what kind of damage could result and what should I do?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike480
So while visiting my parents in New Mexico for the Thanksgiving weekend, I took my truck in to get it's first oil change at the dealer near their house. When I picked up my truck and drove it from the dealer back to my parents house, which is about a 5 minute drive, it seemed the exhaust was louder than before, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Now, while driving my truck back home after my visit, which is about a 400 mile drive to my house in AZ, it seemed like my truck was indeed louder than before, the exhaust had a noticible droan, which it didn't seem to have on the way there or before. Today, while driving home from work I was really noticing that the exhaust sounded much loader than before so I popped the hood to take a look. Well as soon as I pop the hood I notice the top part of the air filter box is not attached and is in fact sitting about an inch off of the bottom air filter box. So my brand new 2011 FX4, which I just bought in August was sucking unfiltered air for a 400 + mile drive and then to and from work here in AZ today. Oh and I also took a drive down a dirt road so my dog could relieve herself during the drive home from my parents house.

My question is, what kind of damage could result and what should I do?

I can't say I know what damage will occur, but I would drive up into the dealership. Give them an earful. And demand some type of compensation. Free oil changes, filters, maintenance, etc.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by stormtrooperecoboost
I can't say I know what damage will occur, but I would drive up into the dealership. Give them an earful. And demand some type of compensation. Free oil changes, filters, maintenance, etc.
I plan to do that tomorrow for sure. Wondering if I should also take my truck to a dealer by my house in AZ to have it checked out.

BTW, that is one awesome looking truck you have. Very nice.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan to do that tomorrow for sure. Wondering if I should also take my truck to a dealer by my house in AZ to have it checked out.

BTW, that is one awesome looking truck you have. Very nice.
Yeah you should get everything checked Just incase something does pop up. Thanks man I appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also suspect that this will be the last time you ever drive away from a "service" without first looking under the hood yourself.

I have zero confidence that any dealer/service bay treats my vehicle with the same diligence that I do. That is why I *always* check it out before I drive away with it.

Good luck with the a** chewing you are about to unload on them.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

You are better off doing maintenance work yourself, after an oil change at the dealer in my dads raptor they didn't fully close the hood. nothing happened but if I didn't point it out he probably would never have seen it.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I paid good money to sound that way!

I would check your MAF sensor first off. If the cover was only cocked by an inch you probably didn't get much contamination through there. You actually pull air from inside your from left wheel well which was still getting filtered. It will naturally pull air from the path of least resistance which was being filtered. The dealer will clean your MAF, pat you on the butt and send you on your way.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Caught the same thing on my Moms car. Luckily it didnt leave the parking lot before I noticed it. This is why i do ALL my own maintanence. I understand not everyone can or wants to do that but its well worth it in my experience!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cdvaight
I paid good money to sound that way!

I would check your MAF sensor first off. If the cover was only cocked by an inch you probably didn't get much contamination through there. You actually pull air from inside your from left wheel well which was still getting filtered. It will naturally pull air from the path of least resistance which was being filtered. The dealer will clean your MAF, pat you on the butt and send you on your way.
You know it's funny because I was liking the way it sounded and thought that since I was driving around in my dad's 09 F150 that maybe I got used to his being quieter, even though I think they sound about the same. The lid to the airbox was actually wedged on top of a big silver bolt that is right above the air box, so it had a good 1 - 1.5 inches of space between the top of the box and the bottom, but I think you're right, I don't think I got any major grime in there... Hopefully.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know it's funny because I was liking the way it sounded and thought that since I was driving around in my dad's 09 F150 that maybe I got used to his being quieter, even though I think they sound about the same. The lid to the airbox was actually wedged on top of a big silver bolt that is right above the air box, so it had a good 1 - 1.5 inches of space between the top of the box and the bottom, but I think you're right, I don't think I got any major grime in there... Hopefully.
I think you are good dude. If you really look at it the plastic on plastic seal is still letting in debris anyway. Not like it is truly "sealed" stock. If you liked the sound get a CAI. Look up my alias on youtube and hear what it sounds like in the cab. I absolutely love the sound.

Quick Reply: Tech at Dealer forgot to reattach air filter cover