Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tach Stalling/Surging During Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tach Stalling/Surging During Acceleration

Truck has 60k and I replaced plugs at 50k. Been feeling a slight hesitation/surge which is why I went ahead with the plugs but still there. I have been trying to determine if I have a bad coil or boot but the dang truck won't trigger a code. However, I've started noticing my tachometer acting very odd. As you accelerate it will gain RPM smoothly then just stall out (normally for just an instant but sometimes longer) then jump 300-500 RPM instantly. Most noticeable in the 3000-4000 range under moderate acceleration. I've hammered the throttle a few times and doesn't seem to do it under hard acceleration, but if you're on the interstate and give it enough throttle to drop a gear or 2 to get around someone it will usually result in the tach issue.

The weird part is at times you can feel the hesitation seat-of-pants but other times it feels perfectly smooth even through the RPM jump. Anyone seen this and been able to track back to a root cause?

Before anyone goes there I've already battled the condensation issue early in the truck's life....this isn't related. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Check your o2 sensors for soot. My truck was really bad with this and best way I can describe the feeling is if you are running and someone grabs you by the shirt...you are still moving but feels like you are being held back. New O2 sensors fixed this for me but if you look at the other threads my drivers side is getting all sooty again already, so I need to find the cause of that and I think its the turbo leaking oil
Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM

But you got codes pretty consistently didn't you? This is 10k miles now and still nothing.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 AM

My truck first threw a code for the O2's 2 weeks ago and I have had these issues for 2+ years. My truck never throws codes I was actually excited when it did haha

I really have no idea how long this could have been going on for but my feeling is a longggggg time, since doing all the normal things like plugs, coils, sensors, etc didn't do anything to fix my truck.

It will take you about 5 min to crawl under there with a box end wrench and unscrew the sensors and take a look at them. With my experience I'd say its well worth it

Last edited by maplelakeduckslayer; 08-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:24 AM

I hear 'ya about being happy it finally threw a code....sure wish mine would so Ford would actually take me seriously.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Check the air filter (does it need replacement) and try cleaning the MAF sensor.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:37 PM

I hate to even say this based on some of the historic posts.......but wasn't it determined that the 2011 EB "MAF" in the intake pipe was just used for air temp? I was reading them long ago....but thought all EB's are MAP and wideband based for fueling (even though the 2011 has the MAF for an air temp gauge).
Old 08-12-2015, 12:54 PM

I replaced every sensor in the intake stream, some multiple times, and did plugs at least 10 times. Put in new IC. Put in new thermostat. For me none of that helped. Even new timing chain did nothing. HPFP did nothing.

New in tank fuel pump and O2 sensors are only 2 things that significantly helped my truck.

Not saying it couldn't be one of the other things, just investigate thoroughly before throwing money at it like I had to do to figure it out
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Trust me maplelakeduckslayer......that's the route I'm taking if need be. I had just hoped this twitchy tach needle might be the clue to find the issue I'm having. When I saw the tach acting up I thought I had hit a homerun to fix this thing. I did a search on the tach stalling/surging expecting to find lots of posts....but found zero. Back to square one....again.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Quick Reply: Tach Stalling/Surging During Acceleration