Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Synthetic lubricants

Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic lubricants

What is the overall opinion & experience on using synthetics in the new Ford engines, pumpkins, transfer cases & transmissions?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I swapped out the motor craft synblend for full synthetic mobile 1. I like it.

I thought about doing my differentials as well. but haven't got around to it.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I will switch to synthetic once my engine gets about 8,000 miles on it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackknight87
I swapped out the motor craft synblend for full synthetic mobile 1. I like it.

I thought about doing my differentials as well. but haven't got around to it.
If you have a 2011 the rear pumpkin comes with Motorcraft synthetic from the factory.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 AM
bluecollarguy7007

Default Synthetic lubricants

I run synthetic in everything else I run from my ATV's to the Duramax & planning to do the same once I have some miles on it. The only draw back I have is that I did purchase the maintenance plan where the dealer takes care of all that crap for the first 100K (still wondering why I did that ) @ any rate it is done but still a good possibility to show up w/ the amount needed of Amsoil & have it done w/ that @ the time. It has made a difference in all else we drive in compared to a petroleum oil so would like to know if much of a difference compared to the semi blend the Ford uses now. Time may tell.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run synthetic in everything, including my push mower, riding mower and generator. I also run 2-cycle synthetic oil in my chainsaw and weedeater.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Haulin Bass!

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Same here. I run synthetic in everything I own. Truck, Jeep, 240SX, Integra GSR, dirt bike, quad, lawn mower, weed wacker, chain saw. I've been using Mobil1 in everything 4 stroke for over 10 years. It's never let me down.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM

does it improve fuel milage? How often do the filter and oil get changed?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by akpolaris
does it improve fuel milage? How often do the filter and oil get changed?
You might not get any noticeable improvement in mileage. The big thing with using a synthetic motor oil (at least with me) is the superior engine protection compared to conventional motor oils. I know a lot of people don't think the extra cost for a synthetic motor oil is worth it, but on the other hand, why not provide the best protection for your expensive truck?

As far as how long to go between oil and filter changes, I would get oil analysis done through some testing laboratory. A couple of known labs include Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com) and Oil Analyzers (http://www.oaitesting.com). In interest of full disclosure, the latter is affiliated with Amsoil, and no, I'm not a dealer - only a user.

After you've driven the truck long enough, you might find that your oil is staying relatively clean, but you'll probably want to change your filter at the recommended manufacturer intervals.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax123
Run synthetic in everything, including my push mower, riding mower and generator. I also run 2-cycle synthetic oil in my chainsaw and weedeater.
Okay, I might try that too. I have been using synthetic in my cars/trucks for many years, but not in lawn mowers. I use the Stihl synthetic 50:1 in my two cycle engines except outboard motor. Works great even in my 1977 Homelite chain saw that recommends 16:1!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic lubricants